1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to snow plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WaterWerks, Sep 10, 2015.

1. WaterWerks

WaterWerks Junior Member

Hello All,
    I'm new to plowing but have been in the landscaping business for the past 10 years.
    I guess my question is, how do I get parking lots, commercial lots? Do I just walk into potential stores and ask for the manager and solicit work? Do a mailer? Drop flyers?

I have a f150 with a 7 1/2" plow, GMC Serra with a 7 1/2" plow and going to purchase a S175 Skid Steer.

I'm willing to work with someone with more experience or take sub contracted work.

Thanks for any input..

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would suggest the first thing you should do is work for someone first.

3. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Best to work for someone first. With the trucks you have, not sure how'd they'd hold up to commercial lots. Driveways might be better for those trucks.

Really though, If you have no experience, look for a local contractor and ask if they need any subs kind deal.

4. WaterWerks

WaterWerks Junior Member

Thats what I'm thinking, just trying to get my feet wet...

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Jumping into commercial snow removal
    A) for the first time
    B) with a 1500
    Not smart for getting your feet wet IMO

6. WaterWerks

WaterWerks Junior Member

I usually go to florida for the winter, figured with all the snow we've been getting over the past winters might be smart to stay and make some money..It can't be that hard..

I'm not talking about huge lots, like a home depot or walmart...I just don't want to deal with residential customers like I do all year long..

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I'll leave that here, just in case anyone missed it. Thumbs Up

8. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

It's not that hard. Sub contract for the first year. Thumbs Up

10. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

I think commercial work is a good direction for sure. As some of the others suggested, it may be wise to sub for the first year. That's really a matter of how comfortable you feel with selling work. I personally would go for it now and skip the sub work (but keep it as a backup option if you can't sign any contracts).

You need to learn how to identify the decision makers for commercial contracting. That is step one, you can waste a lot of time and energy if you don't figure this out early on. This will vary depending on the company. Large chain box stores for example, will likely have a corporate-level process for procuring their vendors (think Home Depot, Costco, etc.). Don't expect to walk into the store and ask the manager to sign your proposal. Ain't gonna happen.

On the other hand, smaller commercial entities such as strip malls, banks, convenience stores, fast food restaurants, etc. will be more accessible to you in that regard.

My advice is:
    figure out who the decision makers are
    figure out how to connect with them in some way
    figure out how to differentiate yourself from the other guys who they could hire
    figure out how to get your name / brand in front of them repeatedly
    ask for work often, don't just write them off if you don't get a contract the first time
    make friends to make money

If you are still in the market for a skid steer, hit me up. I have several nice units for sale right now.

PS - check out www.skidsteercabs.com if you need a cab enclosure for on that S175 or other machine.

Good luck this winter!

11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribed. Let me know how this all worked out for you in April 2016

12. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Are you planning on towing the skid and having the operator riding with you to help with lots as you go and stack piles? That's a ton of weight on a half ton. I'd sub out for at least the first year. I don't plow so it's really the only way I can go, but it's nice only dealing with one company instead of a bunch of clients. Do homework first, don't end up with some guy that doesn't pay.

13. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I know every single experienced guy or gal here is just reading that and shaking their head.

Pretty much anyone can throw a plow on their truck and handle a small snow storm.

It's when you get hit with the major ones, or snow storms back to back that is when you find out what your made of.

Spending 36 straight hours in your truck -(taking 1-2 hour cap naps when you get tired)

Having your lines blow on your plow or something else go wrong and being able to get it fixed and back to plowing asap.

Being able to correctly access a site,
    knowing how long it will take to plow,
    possible trouble spots,
    where to place snow to minimize melting and refreeze black ice spots to reduce chances of slip and falls -(oh so important when dealing with commercial)
    how much product to put down if your sanding,
    just to name a few things.

You want to get your feet wet your best bet is to sub out your first season.

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I have a customer who started right off doing commercial. I no he had to buy 2 garage doors, trucks were breaking, running small trucks in a steep hill apartment complex. I don't see how he made any money. Sub for someone the first year.

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Even smarter to keep going to florida. Not trying to be an azz, most of us would jump at the opportunity.

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Wow.... I got it the first time, and it's amazing how no one puts any real thought into what they have to say before they say it.:confused::confused:

17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yup. I know a paving contractor that leaves here November 1, and doesn't come back until March 1. He's got such an awesome life, and doesn't even own a single snow shovel.

:drinkup:Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

18. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I'm gonna agree with the you don't have a big enough truck for full time professional snow removal crowd.