1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Snow Plowing in general

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dprince, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dprince

Dprince Junior Member

Hey guys im going to be plowing this winter with my own company i have started up in the past year.
    i have a 98 GMC 2500
    and im getting a plow from my buddy that only did one season of plowing and is desalving his company due to the economy sucking and him wanting to join the airforce.

anything i should know before i get started?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You shoukd know all the legal terms about cntracts, subcontractors and running a snow plowing bussiness. You should know how to bid, including everything in the bid like insurance, truck payments, insurance, etc...

Next you'll want to learn how to plow as efficiently as possible yet as safe as possible.

And next since it's our first year, work for someone else.
    Then join SIMA; they have workshops and confrence which will teach you a lot!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No. Just sit back and wait for it to snow. Go out and figure out how to hook up the plow and operate the control. Then drive up and down the street watching for people to flag you down. Then just push the snow somewhere; preferably behind their car or in front of the garage door. If nothing else, use the neighbor's lawn.Then tell them they owe you $5.

By winter's end, you'll be rich.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you for the info. I'll try it this year.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You won't get to fa because theirs a trailer on it's side at the end of your driveway :eek:

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're welcome. Always glad to help out. Hopefully you'll heed my words of wisdom. They will guide you on the path to success. That trailer in your way - bury it.

7. Dprince

Dprince Junior Member

Well the first guy gave me some good advice. i have plowed before. just wanted to know if there was anything else i should know.