1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Snow Plow Business

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by LawnGuyLocal, Nov 5, 2014.

1. LawnGuyLocal

LawnGuyLocal Junior Member
    from owner

Hello,

I am new to the snow removal business this year. I have a TC30 New Holland 4x4 with a 5 ft bucket. I am lawn guy looking to move into snow removal. I have a few questions, and would like some feed back. Firstly, is it better to charge by the hour or push? Also, if one charges by the hour, whats a fair rate? Any techniques that would be helpful when moving snow?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Good luck with just a tractor and a bucket. It will be hard to do any job quickly and efficiently. Maybe put a blade on your loader arms. Customers don't want to pay by the hour, or what they perceive to be paying by the hour. They want to be charged by the push. So, figure out how long it will take you to do your driveway or parking lot, figure out how much you need to make per hour, and give them a number that way.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Any techniques that would be helpful when moving snow?.

Really, you just "started" a plow business, but don't know how to actually plow? Start reading...like a lot of reading

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I say an effective technique would be get a blade for that tractor like harleyjeff said, that way you can use the plow to push and bucket to pile, move or load the snow. look up windrowing or how to plow on youtube for an idea on what to do. Watch how they raise the blade at end of push to pile & avoid damage to grass,curbs ect. Don't plow while going "too fast" what that speed is depends on your experiance, your equipment, & conditions.

5. LawnGuyLocal

LawnGuyLocal Junior Member
    from owner

Thanks for the information, this is a new venture for us. So all the advice is appreciated.

6. contractor 413

contractor 413 Junior Member

I use my tc30 to clean up a little around our shop after plowing. I think you will find it impractical for a plowing business unless you try a blower.

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Put a blower on it...

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Depends where you are as far as how to charge. Around here it's impractical to charge per push for most places. We get a lot more wind and it's open here. So some nights you'll spend 8 hours cleaning up a 1 inch snow, others you'll spend 2 hours cleaning up 3 inches.

Other places want per push, per event, seasonal, etc. The list goes on. Charge what your market will bear, and have fun. That being said, that tractor is pretty small.

9. QualityNY

QualityNY Junior Member

Where are the best places to read for techniques involved with plowing snow?

10. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Put a blower on it otherwise stick to mowing lawn

11. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Plowsite . Com and tc30 Youtube

12. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

Tc30 on Youtube