1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to snow blowing/salting

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by robert1234, Oct 28, 2008.

1. robert1234

robert1234 Junior Member

I have the opportunity to bid on some condo associations and driveways of landscaping customers of mine and Im trying to figure out if my figures are correct. I plan on just buying a snow blower or two and having me and my worker blow out the propertys , shovel, and salt. I was thinking that I want to make $100/hr as opposed to the $60/hr or $30/hr per man I usually get for landscaping. Is this enough or am I short changing myself? I know I have to add in for salt too. Am I in the ballpark?
  2. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

in my area you could never get 100 buck an hour to snow blow more like 60 but if you can get it in your area great good luck
  3. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

depends on the area good luck at 100 a hour
  4. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

Look at bidding it using hand shoveling production rates, then use a snow blower to increase the production. If you divide the total revenue by the snow blower hours you will most likely find that you are getting close to what you want per hour.

We have a 5 ½ acre facility that we bid using trucks and a backhoe w/ a 10’ box. The first storm came around and we used 1 loader w/ a 14’ box and 1 backup truck to clean the corners the end result we were getting close to $275 per hour for the loader. Had I mentioned in the opening line that we were getting $275 per hour for a loader w/ box I could just imagine the responses I would have received. Some would say that I was ripping the client off, but what happens if the loader was down or unavailable and you had to plow it using trucks?

We know what going rates are around the area but they are of little concern to our company. What’s most important, is knowing what our costs are.
  5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with PLCI. Try to bid using somewhat standard equipment. 8ft. plow, shovelers, average sized skidloader. After you secure the contract, improving the time it takes to clear a project is more money in your pocket. If a bigger machine breaks, it's always easier to find a truck with a 8 ft. plow than a backup or rental machine with a 10ft. pull back box plow. That way you at least cover the basics of what is needed for bidding and completing the project.
  6. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I would tend to agree with what the others have said. I doubt that you will be able to get $100/hour. A $50 driveway is a $50 driveway. It takes me 20 minutes with a plow but takes you 40 with the snowblower. The only exception would be if these drives are not conducive to being plowed. If thats the case, your offering a premium service and may well get $100.
  7. karol

karol Senior Member

I agree with the last sentence. He is offering premium service with a snowblower. It takes longer but it scrapes better and also he could target interlock and stamped concrete driveways. If they can afford a stamped concrete driveway and walkway i'm sure they will pay premium dollar to protect their investment.