1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to skidsteer snow removal; suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BrynBaily, Feb 26, 2011.

1. BrynBaily

BrynBaily Junior Member
    from Ohio

For some reason I let my buddy who has a landscaping/plowing buisness talk me into helping out during deep snow falls. We've been using two of our new Cat skids with cabs; one outfitted with a bucket and the other with a 73" blower. I've agreed on $65 hr per machine and he foots the bill on fuel and tops off all machines and trucks at the end of the day. A few questions...
    Do any of you guys charge more for the use of a blower?
    Should I change the agreement as far as hr. rate, more or less?
    Anything else I should be aware of or look out for?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A machine w/blower should get significantly more than a machine w/bucket.

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Depends where you live and how much people are willing to pay. Can't get over $70/hr for a CTL with a blower here.....

4. Spudgunner

Spudgunner Member

I charge $75/hr ($30 min) for Toolcat and blower (or blade). I do not differ in price between attachments as I don't want my customers tempted to choose which equipment I use.

5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I could see you charging more for the blower. Its more expensive than a bucket and has wearable parts that will eventually need replaced.

The rate sounds good since he is paying for all the fuel. Fuel can be a pain to pay for.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Where you live dosent change the fact a blower is alot more expensive to run.
    I didnt say anything about specific rates.

7. BrynBaily

BrynBaily Junior Member
    from Ohio

There isn't much of a market here either, but the sites we do it really does well. Most are private paved condo allotments that drift bad. There is no room for the trucks to push that much in a small area so we used to use a skid with bucket to stack it. With the blower two or three passes will cut right through it and blow it 40ft off the road. Nice and clean looking without the six foot high pile.

I can understand that. If its to your benefit to use something more expensive to buy you an hour or so you don't want them going cheap dragging you down.

Thats kinda what I was figuring. I know what it cost me run that machine with someone in it regardless what fuel prices do at the time and he know what I need up front without screwing around with how much fuel is that week.

8. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Around here you could get $100hr solid but then you pay for your own fuel...I think if he's paying on time and paying fuel you don't have too bad of an agreement...maybe raise the skid with blower $10.

9. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

100% agreed $75 an hour and he supply the fuel, very fair

10. BrynBaily

BrynBaily Junior Member
    from Ohio

Great guys, thanks for the input! The snow game is certainly different. Thank God its only a few months of the year; its to hectic to be doing this everyday!:dizzy:

11. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Your right about that.... but you also said SHOULD get a lot more. Try to get the cheap skates around here to pay what its worth. Good luck. There are so many guys around here with Skid steers and CTL's as well as small CUT's that will work for less than what it costs them to be out there. It stupid the range of prices i saw this year.

12. sp6x6

sp6x6 Member

It is the same where Im at. Home construction is really low and alot of small equipment around and starving contractors, rates are set back a few yrs for me