1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to site, not sure if im posting in right cat.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kandklandscape0, Sep 9, 2007.

1. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

we have a bank account in our area, we are in western pa.... well it is a competitve bid of course, what do most of you charge per hour? they want to know per hour charge and also per app for salt, which i can figure out..... however would$ 45 / hr be to low?

we always give a FLAT fee, never per hour....
  2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

You need to make sure you are getting paid what you think you are worth.

Think of your expenses

Operator (If its you driving or a hired operator)
    Wear and tear

Does $45 and hour seem like its all that much now?

In my area I think its between $65 and $100 per hour depending on who/what is pushing
    And we don't get that much snow.

Pay yourself for what you are worth.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you're charging an account by the hour and using your equipment, I'd say NO LESS than $100/hr. I shoot for $130/hr for multiple accounts.

$45 to $60 is for a sub.
  4. kandklandscape0

45 does seem to low. they give us about 750k worth a work a year, so we want to keep them happy of course, they want plowed every single inch, so it would be a great account i believe
  5. kandklandscape0

o also this is based on a regular 3/4 ton pickup, with one driver, plow no riders.....
  6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

45 is to low. You have heard from Iowa, Maine, and now Ohio. Do you know any local landscapers that you get chat with?
  7. kandklandscape0

Talked to 2 others this week. They are only charging $50-$65 hr for plowing. We live in a very competitive market here where i am in pa
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

by the hr?

figure your costs.

a truck and dirver your Ins. $100+ hr.:confused:

Who is to say how much production has to be done in an hr?

You could go slow you could go fast?

You could be a crapy plower or you could be very efficent?

you could be useing a 7ft plow or a 10ft or a 20ft pussh box?

How long do you think it is going to take to plow this lot with 3inches how long with 12inches?
  9. Mick

from Maine

I got to thinking about this last night. How much fuel does your truck burn in an hour? If I was steady plowing for an hour, I'm guessing mine would take between a fourth an third of a tank per hour. I'm going to find out this winter by using the hour meter instead of the mileage option on the speedometer. If a third/tank, it'd be about $30/hr for gas. That would leave $20-35 for every thing else, including the wage to the driver (or yourself if you're driving).

Let's say your area gets ten "events" (snowfalls). You plow ten hours on average for a snowstorm. That's 100hrs per season (billable - not including travel time, etc) times $20/hr (left after fuel) = $2000. This needs to cover insurance, repairs, wages to driver (yourself), equipment replacement).

You may wind up actually paying them for the privilege of plowing their lot.:rolleyes:
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are they subing for the contract holder?
  11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

im a firm believer that many people out there are plowing for free or losing money doing it and dont even realize it. both single truck resi and some of the larger contractors with multi commercial contracts. i dont think my opinions very popular.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your opinion can't make everyone happy all the time.

But this time I think your are right on.

They take every job they can get.
    They leave a lot of money on the table.
    They lack confidence in them selves and their work.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Mick, I hope you find your fuel consumption to be a lot less then you think. I watch mine pretty close. Most of my calls are only 5 minutes apart and I am sure I could do 12 hours straight and most likely more before going for fuel. I am running Diesel but the gas trucks can do 10 hours I think.

Having said that, I wouldn't plow for $45/hour. I am paying brokers a lot more then that.
  14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You just answered your own question
  15. Mick

from Maine

I'm hoping so, too. I kept track of all fuel used last year (actually keeping track of ALL fuel, year round). Plowing, I got 7 mpg. This winter, I'm going to switch it to hour meter for Hours Per Gallon, which I think would be more meaningful.
  16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Or atleast make you feel better :D
  17. kandklandscape0

Figured it out that $45 would only be making $10 an hour. After fuel, operator, wear and tear, insurance. Sounds like I should deff up it!

$55-65 an hour is what others are charging around here. I am going to put it in the contract to that if there is 2 trucks, it will be hr x2 min of 1 hr. Has anyone done this yet?

Also for shoveling there needs to be a per hour charge as well as per hour charge for salting...

What is the figuration for salting? How much sq ft do you get out of a ton of salt? I mean deff depends on where you salt and all. I normally do bag salt but we have alot of big lots so we had to buy a bigger spreader this year, still having the 2 tailgate snowex in play to.

Is there a ratio to figure out what rock salt should be spread at? I know diff conditions apply each time you spread, but what is the normal? Would $50 an hour salting seem not enough or to much?
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You will not make money spreading salt by the hour. An AVERAGE is 1,000 lbs/acre and that might be a little heavy. This has been discussed a lot and many different opinions. I would try a search and spend some time reading.
  19. JT Contracting

JT Contracting Junior Member

I have one "by the hour" account the rest contracted by the push, it too is a bank, my bank. They don't cut me any breaks on banking so I am not going give them any on plowing. $85/hr plus salt and sidewalks.