1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to site, new business.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Clarkmac1985, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Clarkmac1985

Clarkmac1985 Junior Member

Well just got of of the army in august and started my own lawn care and snow removal business. As of right now I've had 3 clients and none are repete due to them just needing it cut before they moved and Noone else would do it. Bought a plow truck(97 k3500 with 44,000 miles for $1100) to do plowing in the winter since I live on the tug hill in northern ny, so I needed one anyway, came with an 8 foot Fisher plow with engine driven hydrolics. All equipment is paid for in cash so no payments and no overhead, except operating costs. Now the trick is geting new clients this winter.
    Mike Clark
    Clarks Lawn and Land Maintenance
    clarkslawnandland.com

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Running behind. You need to get out there NOW. Make sure you're insured and all other ducks are in a row. Good luck and welcome. This site will give you more info than imaginable.

3. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Hey welcome. Thanks for your service to our country. Like JMH said you are running behind but that just means you need to hustle it's not impossible. Good insurance is a must. You don't want to loose your business before it's gets off the ground. Don't get discouraged with the lawn cutting either. Sounds like you were late to the game on that as well starting in August. Upsell everything and everyone you meet try to sell them on cutting and snow.

4. Clarkmac1985

Insurance I have. Went though a local company. And trust me I know I'm late in the game. There may be 2 or 3 mows left in the season as of now, and first snow will be here probably with in the month. But I think most residential clients round here are a Lil slow to get snow removal this year since last year was the least snowy year on record. But will see what happens . Thanks for some of the insite and look forward to being up in the ranks of small business owners

5. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Welcome from just east of you in the Adirondacks. There seems to be plenty of time left to get clients for snow removal over here. I don't anticipate snow up here until the end of November. But you probably get more lake effect than we do, better start hustling. Good luck.

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Get out there and start selling your snow services, Snow amounts in Tug Hill are no joke. You need to think of a back up plan in case of a break down. Lots of new guys in the biz hook up with another plow guy to watch each others back. You might want to think about something with a bucket, Skid etc.

With the snow amounts in Tug Hill I would want one. Welcome to PS and Good Luck.

7. Clarkmac1985

Yeah I know. Not from this area, actually from Eastern nc (all but no snow), but was at drum for 5 winters and ran snow equip every winter cause "I was good at it", once i get off the ground I'm going to look at a skid steer, tool cat, or a brutus, with a big dump trailer. Either of the 3 equip options I can run a snow blower or a bucket with also. Either that or I'll get a compact(ish) tractor with a cab.
    The lake effect is predicted to be one of the worst on record here since the lake is at record warm temps. Luckily I'm on the north edge of the hill and will not get the full brunt as just south of here will, but I'm still expecting about 180+ inches this year.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

That's good you got some experience while at drum. Some guys are good at it others you just can't teach. Use your Military back ground and your experience at drum while selling yourself.

9. Clarkmac1985

I'll do that. Wife is extremely good with business and marketing so she is hooking me up on that side, she is also the exec. Director of a local non profit.
    Have the Web site, fb page, instigram, yelp, manta, and a couple others. Trying to get my name out there as much as possible in cyberspace. But round here is kinda old school. I really need to knock on some doors (which is illegal in the local towns) and see but finding some work. BTW do also have a 1/2 ton 4x4 and a good, old, well built Toro snow blower and many shovel

10. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Throw up a few flyers with your services and a phone number. Post offices the local deli most places in a small town have a place for em. Minimal effort and investment. I got three new seasonals from flyers this year.

FredG likes this.
  11. Clarkmac1985

That would be good. Was also calling the only pizza delivery place in my area and see if they could give out some flyers with the pizza they deliver.

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Try some small commercial, You know nothing big, Small 4 pump stations, Dentist, Doctor office, Pizza joints, Taverns etc. Maybe you can sub for one season, This will get your name out there some. Pick up some sidewalks. Stick with it, Your biz will grow givin enough time.

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Thanks for your service. :usflag:

14. Clarkmac1985

Your welcome. Just felt like I needed to do my part of something other than making others rich and my wallet thick

15. JMHConstruction

Door hangers are the best way to advertise to residential. And it's not too late for most of them. With the door hangers, you're not "technically" soliciting, and people don't get as angery. Plus you pick what neighborhoods you want, and hopefully get a bunch right together. Might also call some HOAs to see if they have a guy that does the whole HOA. It's too big for you to handle right now, but if they have a company that does it you won't waste your time and money advertising in the neighborhood. Best local business this late are the new ones who just opened up, they may not have someone yet.

16. Clarkmac1985

Unfortunately there are no HOA''s round here. But due to a very aggressive digital marketing plan by my wife and using thumbtack, I have placed 7 bids for jobs to people who have contacted me and placed 3 bids to do some of the local gas stations, and got one contract for snow mgt and lawn care for next year. Also going into the pizza place today to deliver 350 flyers for them to hand out with their pizza and deliveries.

17. JMHConstruction

I'm just going to throw this out there, even though it's completely unrelated. Have you had a mechanic look over that truck and replace everything that needs it (especially in the front end)? It's risky putting all your eggs in a $1000 basket.

18. Clarkmac1985

Well, yes and no. I have extensive experience under the hood of any vehicle (specifically drag cars, all models, army classified light vehicles, bikes, tractors, etc) and did a thorough inspection. I do all my work myself because I can and don't like the mechanics in the area (complete rip-off). I am replacing the oil pan this weekend due to slight rust and it should be good to go. But, knowing me, it will get many mods just cause I can.

19. JMHConstruction

Do as much as you can before it gets cold. Things will break in the middle of a storm, but the more you can get done now the less you'll have when it's cold as hell.