1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to site/ job as well.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weeman97, Dec 4, 2005.

1. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

first of i wanted to just stop i na say hi and introduce myself. I'm Kyle and i live on the SouthSide of Chicago, and want to get into plowing this winter. So i have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport w/ 5.2L and Auto. i know becasue its a sport the bumper will have to be notched i belive. Next i was wondering what would be the best plow for my truck and what else should i do to my truck to make it function properly and safely with the plow on. thanks in advance! BTW this site is great for informantion.

2. BROWNS SNOWPLOW

BROWNS SNOWPLOW Junior Member

i am new to this site myself however ive been snowplowing for 15 years so here is my advise (worth two cents ) buy the plow at a dealer they will find the right size to accomidate the truck. I personally like Western they are easy to take on and off. However I would stay away from poly plows just because if punch a hole threw them you will have to buy a whole new skin. Second check with the local law enforcemnet to see about the regulations for amber lights. The most important thing you can do is, if you are to plow for any business is to get Commercial Liabilty Insurance, if you get in an accident your personal vehicle insurance will not cover you. YOu could loose everything in a law suit. Good luck hope you get a lot of contracts.

3. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

thanks for the advice very good info. i forgot to mention i'm only 17 but will be plowing under my friends fathers company or my uncles.

4. BROWNS SNOWPLOW

BROWNS SNOWPLOW Junior Member

good deal i was 17 when i started im now 33 the best advice is go slow and pay attention to the old timers im still learning something new everday

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Welcome,
    Ok, lets get that Dodge ready. You want to use a 1500 to plow with? O.k.?Lets look at a light weight of a 7.# plow. You have a full size truck so you should have at least an 8.# plow, And they really don't cost that much more. so now weight becomes a problem. fix,The coil springs for the 2500 with the plow prep package #38-#39 will fit right in to your truck, there cheep, you can get them at the dealer, they have heaver ones too. You can put them in your self with a jack and some hand tools.

Next have your tranny serviced. get a new filter installed.
    next cheek or replace every fluid rear end trans fer case etc, etc, grease every thing.
    Hope this gives you a place to start lol:drinkup: