1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to site and question on V Maxx Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Terry R, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

Hey everyone. New to the site. I've been reading posts on here for a few months now and love the site. We don't get near the snow down here that you guys up north get. On average we get about 18" of now a season. This year we've only pushed a few of times, which was a 4-7" snow depending on where you were, and a couple one inchers. We've salted about 5-6 times though. Look forward to talking to you guys on here. Thanks for a great site.

I have a few questions on the Snow Ex 8500 V-Maxx. I did a search first and read several posts, but still have a few questions. How does the auger compare to a conveyer belt, like most other spreaders have? Does the electric motor seem to have enough power? I read that the spreader will lose some salt while driving from job to job. Does it dump a lot, or is it too minimal to worry about? Thanks for any help. I am highly considering this spreader for next year because the dealer is open 24 hours during a storm.
  2. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

Nobody uses this spreader I guess.
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Give it some time some people aren't always on. It may take a day or two for an answer.
  4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I was briefly considering that unit too until I saw the $11k price tag.
  5. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

11k??? I was quoted $7000 installed here in St Louis. That is for the 2 ton unit.
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

We have run one for 2 years now.
    I think its a great spreder. I have never owned a gas powered/chain v-box though so I cannot compare.
    We are running a 50/50 salt/sand mix through it this winter and no problems yet.
    If it does drop material driving around it is very, very minimal. The electric is great IMO. Plenty of juice to spread our mix which is sometimes wet. Just need to use the vibrator a bit then. We also have a 8000 that we have had for 4 years now. The only problem we have had is the vibrator went bad, so it has been replaced once.