1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to site and plowing.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by coalfieldslawn, Aug 15, 2015.

1. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I've been running a lawn care and landscaping service for about 5 years now. It's picked up very well, but now that I am out of school I have way more time to put into work. Which has brought me to starting thinking about expanding my business. I have a 4x4 f250 that runs out well, but people have already told me they don't want me to bring a truck to their homes (claims it will damage the driveways and yards). So that has made me think maybe I should go a little smaller.
    Now my question to the guys that have been tgere done that, if you were starting out, what would you buy? Any input would be appreciated as I'd like to know what's what.
    Been interested in a atv, utv or a small price of equipment.

Thanks for you help!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Find intelligent customers or tell them you'll need to charge them more cause you had to buy a 2016 aluminum F 150

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Where are ya, how much snow do you get?

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

You already have a truck that is more then capable of doing the job why would you think about buying another piece of equipment to satisfy a couple customers unless you have enough work for both at the same time.

5. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I leaving in eastern Kentucky. We don't get a ton of snow, but when we do my phone rings off the hook. Wouldn't bother me too much too buy something. Atv/utv can be used to have fun on after work, small piece of equipment could possibly expand my business. Past fee years ever time it snowed it was half a foot and made its way to 2 feet. People stranded for days cause Noone would come out and work it.

6. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I like the idea of the truck for sure. Would be much easier. Buy something else wouldn't bother me though if I knee what to buy. Atv/utv could be fun after work is over, small equipment could expand my business. I also live in a very rural area. Lots of small road and tight place to get to. So unless I got a bunch of parking lots (only take to one guy with a parking g lot so far and he said he didn't like the truck) I would be worried that I might couldn't make good money for what I put into it.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If they don't like your truck then possibly you could get a snowblower for those few drives. Whose doing the commercial lot now and what do they use?

8. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

But a plow for your truck and tell the people that ***** see Ya. You will make way more money with a full size plow then a utv or atv. Plus you will leave your self room to expand and get bigger contacts to push.

9. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

That could be a good way to go as well. He asked me to do it last year and I couldn't come up with anything fast enough to do it. Some guy on a side by side came out and done it.

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Are these guys trying to tell you that your gonna damage their driveway and grass or commercial lot with a 1000 pound plow on your truck?

11. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

You will make way more money putting a plow on that truck and getting trying to get 30-40 drives to start off then as you get better and faster you will be able to add more. Not to be but I stay away from a customer that doesn't have enough sense to realize that's how it's done, a truck and plow. That's how you make the money

12. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Yeah, I've had a few say that the weight if it will scrap their blacktop. That's what most complain about. They don't really understand that a atv blade will too I didn't guess lol

13. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I'm starting to think the same way really. But, I don't know what to look into buying for the truck either. I'd like to have a good setup buy it doesn't have to be top on the line to start out with I don't suppose.

14. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Check around at your local plow dealers, and see who your competitors use. Things my dealer does that I like is they're open during snowstorms, have parts, and are willing to help even over the phone. They also have been doing plows for years. I'm a Boss fan so I'd recommend a V plow, however western makes a good plow as well. But see what dealers around you provide. Although you are planning on doing just residential, I'd get a V or wideout as you can utilize it better when you start doing more commercial.

15. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Thanks! I'm not sure right off if we have a dealer close by. I know for sure there is a big dealer of boss about 3 hours away (central equipment in lexington, ky). The city and state I have it ice they go for western as far as I can tell, but tgere has only been one company that I have really notice to advertise that they bought a plow already and it was a boss.

16. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Put a plow on it , look into a rubber cutting edge, don't scrap the best but will keep your customers happy. After the first two hours plowing in the snow on a atv your gonna hate it. In the truck your dry, warm, and coffee at your side. Look for a used western set up, get some spare parts, you will be good to go.

17. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Done and done :salute:

18. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Also think about it this way, doing 5 driveways at $50. each in the time to do 1 drive with a 4 wheeler at $50. and you will stay warmer. Where are you going to make more money.