1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to site and plowing - have some front end issues

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nichlos wiker, Oct 5, 2009.

1. nichlos wiker

nichlos wiker Junior Member

hey guys i'm new to plowing this year. i have been doing landscaping for 10 years and had my own company for 3...so ive been around ppl that do plow. Just bought a 88 gmc 3500 dump truck which i'll b using for plowing...when i hit 35 mph and hit a pothole it starts shaking which gets worse and worse until i almost loose control and have to pull of to the side. i know this is a front end issue ( tie rod ends, center link) . any pointers on how to pin point the problem? any help would b greatly appreciated

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Bad drag link bushings will give you that problem. but you will have to check the whole F end out.

That is if it does not fall off while your waiting for someone on plowsite to give you an answer.

OK your new to plow site so I'll take it easy on you.:nod:

If you weren't new to plow site I would have said

" I'm sorry BUT...

You got a truck, that shakes until you loose control and you haven't gone to somebody that can check it!:dizzy::dizzy:

You waiting for a wheel to fall off so you can kill somebody?
    you think, this is a very dangerous!

This is #1 responsibility of owning a vehicle, making sure its safe. "

Well, I'm glad I didn't say that.

Welcome to plow site:waving:
  3. nichlos wiker

haha...i understand...

i haven't been driving the truck since i've experienced the issue...i have another truck i use for my work... but i know i'm going to have to learn as much as i can about the front end anyway, since i will have to go thru and check it every year b4 i plow. i drove the truck 50 miles home after i bought it w no issues....figures...
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Being a mechanic since 1988 I can tell you there are way too many things to try and pin point let-alone with out seeing it first hand. It could be bad ball joints, bad stabilizer and or links or both, I dont think tie rod ends would do that but it could be a combination of a few things. Don't feel bad, we just bought a 2000 1 ton dump, I knew it needed fuel lines....well 2 new fuel lines, a fuel pump and new gas tank its back on the road. I can't complain too much I picked it up for 3800.00 and another 1500.00 bought the 9ft V blade :p
  5. nichlos wiker

yea i still think i got a good deal.
    i can turn the drag link up and down pretty good, i don't know how much play it should have but it doesn't seem right...i'm gonna go thru the whole thing though for sure....just tryin to figure out what to keep my eyes peeled for....thanks for the help so far guys
  6. theplowmeister

from MA

Glad you aint driving it.

track bar should have NO play.

I had the same problem on my first ford pickup.
    if the track bar has play it, it allows the axle to move from side to side, not much (1/4 inch) but enough. When the axle mover to the right, since you hold onto the steering wheel the axle moves but the tie-rods dont so the wheels turns left. the tires move left taking the axle with them and again you are holding the steering wheel so the axle moves but not the tie-rods. now the wheels point to the right. the f end will oscillate back and forth very violently. bad ball joints allows a wheel to rattle around, where a bad track bar is extremely violent, because the whole axle is shifting left-right very fast. Hitting a bump will set of the osolations and you wont get osolations in a corner as the axle is loaded trying to pull the truck around a corner.

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Check ur steering shock
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I hope it is a 4X4. If you plan on doing drives with it you WILL get stuck if it is a 2wd.
    Double check everything on the whole truck. Plowing is hard on a vehicle and they need extra time checking things over.
  9. nichlos wiker

thanks for the help...i'll b working on it soon. i'll let u guys know how it goes...

and yes it is a 4x4...it's a beautiful truck and i definatly want to do everything right from the start
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gonna bet this is a solid axle truck right? If so...king pins, check them. Very common on the Dana 60 axles to give you the death shake when the kingpins are loose. :nod:
  11. nichlos wiker

it is indeed a solid axle...i will addd that to my list thanks

12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

arrousingly good condition nice truck
  13. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Nice. I love those old square gm trucks.
  14. nichlos wiker

here's an update guys....replaced both outer tie rod ends and the steering damper, and haven't had a problem since....drove it a bunch seeking out pot holes so i know it's good to go....thanks again for the help
  15. theplowmeister

from MA

Thanks cor the update