1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to sanding

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike3767, Jun 13, 2009.

1. mike3767

mike3767 Junior Member

Thinking about completing the package and getting a sander. Any recommendations and what is a definite need in sanders? i.e. vibrator, gas or electric. I'd like to have a full size one that fits on a flat bed F-350.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's an impossible question as everybody's situation is different. First, decide between a V-box or tailgate. Even with a flatbed one ton, a tailgate MIGHT be a better option

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Forget the sand and use salt:waving:

4. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

If you want a V-box, I have a HiwayP8 in good condition for sale. I'm in Mo. Valley. Let me know if you're interested.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you've got the money, but a new electric. I would look at the Snoway 2 motor stainless steel unit.

6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Yeah, go for something electric and poly or stainless steel. Good Luck

7. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

i got a blizzard ice chaser that thing rocks for the condos we do we run 4:1 sand salt mix but pick up a vibrator for it and CAT lights and its awesome

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are CAT lights? I don't have a vibrator in my PolyCaster, sometimes I have a little stick in the ends. I have actually mixed my sand as low as 8 or 10 to one.

9. mike3767

mike3767 Junior Member

I live in Omaha, NE and even thought about selling my V plow and buying a sander. It appears that we have more ice than snow. What are your thoughts on that? From what I hear, you make more money and spend less time on jobs. Any truth too that?

10. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

A cat light is just a work light just brighter just hang it off the back so its easier to back up or see where the sand is going in the middle of the night as far as sticking ur lucky sometimes i would get a load of wet stuff and id have to take the grate off and stab it a few times with a shovel. Sucks when u have to to 6 - 7 times a storm. But I'm lazy so I made the boss by the vibrator lol. Works good if the material is dry though w/o vibrator.

work light.JPG

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, but you still need the plow for the little snow you do get. (I'm originally from SW IA and worked in Omaha for years.)

12. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I would keep the plow and have sanding/salting in addition to plowing services. In my situation I do make more money sanding, spend less time, not as hard on the equip., but there is more maintenance of equip., treating sander, lubrication, washing truck and sander. I keep material at my place instead of buying from dealers. More convenient and also a little cheaper. I can also mix to my specifications. Kind of particular about that.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you don't have continus temps in the teens, forget sand use straight salt.

Buyers saltdoggs are the gem of spreaders right now. very controllable application rates, inexpensive compared to the competition, easy to maintain and low corrosion. you can replace all the moving parts (a complete rebuild) for around a grand.

Get the long chute if you are using it on a flatbed.