1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to sand spreading

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Winter Land Man, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I've been plowing but am thinking of doing sand spreading as well now. What is the usual price you'd charge for an average sized gas station parking lot, if you are using straight sand? and how about if you use salt? thanks. :waving:
  2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I can't imagine you'd be spreading straight sand, unless of course if that's all they want. Straight sand is not going to do anything other than make a big mess. You need either a salt/sand mix or straight salt, and you need to be careful about the concrete areas there as the salt will eat the concrete. You could spread Magic salt, which would imo be ideal. The only time you're going to spread straight sand is when you have a surface that can not take the salt, such as coated surfaces , eg parking decks, etc.

All I can tell you about price is that you need to figure the material cost, plus your time to spread it. Do you have other accounts that you'll be sanding as well? Are you buying bulk material and running it through a V-box or are you buying bagged and spreading it by hand? There will be a difference in material cost, time to apply and this will all be compounded if you have other accounts that you do. We have never done any gas stations, but from what I can gather, they are not easy or fun to do. Cars in and out all the time, etc.
  3. Winter Land Man

It'll be a V-box (a Warren brand)... I'll be doing a few with it including parking lots. Many people here use straight sand. I don't mind the cars in and out, but I'll be doing a few small markets as well. I don't know of any concrete areas except near gas pumps and the owners don't care. I can choose sand or sand/salt mix, the place where I will be getting it from is open all day. They don't have straight salt.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Bulk straight sand will usually be frozen or get frozen in a V-box. My advice would be sand/salt. I charge double my cost. I also have a minimum charge for less than half a yard. Here, I get calls for sanding several miles away so I also have a charge for mileage.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You should make sure that you are not responsible for the clean up in the spring. We sand/salted schools for years and in the spring the amount of sand around the curbs and islands was considerable. You should make sure you have atleast a 20% salt content. If you plow with the salter full you will find that the material packs as you plow. It might make it very difficult to spread. Also make sure that you wash and grease the salter after EVERY outing. A fully loaded broken salter is not much fun.
  6. Winter Land Man

thanks for the info guys, but I really do need an estimate on an average sized gas station... let's say it's the sand/salt mix. Any ideas? thanks guys