1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by saltheump, Dec 10, 2012.

1. saltheump

saltheump Junior Member

Have been plowing many years, never salted except with a walk behind grass spreader. I now have a SP6000 snoex and I am trying this out this year. I have variable speed controls for the auger and spreader and I am asking if there is any way I can calculate how much I am spreading at first or is it kind of a trial and error thing? I have a sleeve on the auger that is supposed to regulate how much salt is brought to the spinner. It is in the fully open position at this time. Any one have any suggestions as how to start out this season fully opened, half opened, low speed, half speed on the auger etc and what speed on the spinner? I know that's a lot of questions, but it would be nice to get some idea of how to begin for the first time. Oh yeah, don't make it to hard for me I'm getting on in years, close to 70. Any answers will be appreciated.
  2. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

For the most part it is trial and error. When i first started with mine i shut it way down and would slowly open it up till i found the what worked best for me. After a lot or so you should know where you need it set at for your applications
  3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I agree. Start with it way low. Rather use to little salt and have to make another pass then to way over salt and see the money flying out the back. Close up shoots and turn auger way down. Like 1 or 2. Then adjust spinner for how far u want to throw it. Uts gonna take a lot or two but should be fairly easy to dial it in.
  4. Effinay

Effinay Member

Good information based on common sense. I'm also a plow jockey from long ago (still love my speedcast) just starting sanding a parking lot. My tool of choice (read affordable) is an old, completely manual Torwell 2.5 yd.