1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Salting Price Guidance

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by McG_Landscaping, Oct 3, 2011.

1. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

Hey guys this will be my first year salting and I really need some guidance with submitting my bids. I measured out both lots that I am bidding on and this is what I came up with:

Lot 1:
    17325 sq ft of parking lot/drive through
    820 sq ft of side walk.
    7.2 (rounded up to 8) 50lbs bags of salt.

Salting 8 bags @ 14.28 (3x the price of a bag) =$ 114.25
    Plowing up to 4" and shoveling walks = $85
    Plowing over 4" and shoveling walks = $105

Lot 2:
    12380 sq ft of parking lot/drive through
    1584 sq ft of sidewalk
    5.6 (rounded to 6) 50 lb bags.

Salting 6 bags @ 14.28 (3x the price of a bag) =$85.70
    Plowing up to 4" and shoveling walks = $85 (because of more shoveling)
    Plowing over 4" and shoveling walks = $105

These are both a resturaunt chain thats open from 5 am to 10 pm. I have heard that you need 20lbs per 1000 sq ft and thats how i figured out how much salt I was going to need. Am I in the right realm of price or am I over? This would cover my cost plus leave a nice profit but since I am new to salting, I really need some advice. Is this low balling? too high? I really want/need to get these contracts but dont want to give them something they wont accept because of the price. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Scott

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO You are overestimating the amount needed. Also, your salting price is too high if you are competing with anyone who uses bulk salt. $.285/lb is way expensive.

Do a search and you should find some more information.

3. GreenscapesWV

GreenscapesWV Junior Member
    from wv

sound like your signature gives you away....i call people who dont include gas ins operating costs low ballers because if u dont know how much you spend then how do you know how much you make??

on the other hand the 3x bag sounds ballpark to around my area for salt and 20lb per 1000 is accurate. if guys in ur area are using bulk salt they are getting 50 lb for enarly nothing(about $1.25) so they r prolly around $7 or 8$ per bag spread...

4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Help with bidding

This will help you.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.

5. Just another thing to remember they probably want ya to use ice melt on the walks not coarse rock salt and that cost more/bag

6. McG_Landscaping

So I submitted my bid about a month ago and my numbers were a bit higher than what I listed above. They countered with this.

$75 per lot for up to 2 plowings per day then $25 per push after the 2. And $5.50 for salt. So say if I went and plowed it twice today and salted I would get paid $80.50. I just laughed and told them very politely no.

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Really

Stay home and watch cartoons. It will be more profitable!

8. McG_Landscaping

Lol that was my exact thought! I dont actually have to work for the next 6 months and I could still pay for everything until grass starts back up, but i am the kind of person that likes to work, but not at those rates.

9. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

Same boat as me,I like working but will not lower my prices to get work when I have the cash to hold me over till grass starts growing again.

Will sit and watch cartoons and play MR. Mom for the winter before working to cheaply.