1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to salting..Need help with charging.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by acollins3, Feb 3, 2009.

1. acollins3

acollins3 Junior Member
    from PA

I just bought an 8ft. VBox spreader and I was wondering how much to charge for driveways and parking lots. The sand/salt mix is 110.00 a ton where im located. Any information would be a great help.

Also I know some people who have commercial accounts that need my help plowing and salting. How much should I charge per hour for plowing/ salting and just salting. I know they will pay for the salt so whats a good hourly rate.

2. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

we charge just by how much product we use. I can salt an average target parking lot in twenty minutes. they like it heavily salted by the doors and the i do the ales where cars park and handicaps, fire exits, and the entrances for $125 bucks. it doesn't take much salt. you let the salt do the work.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem with salting/sanding driveways with a 8 foot V box, is you really don't know how much your using. You should be able to figure things out by square footage, but untill you get to know your V box, and what settings put down how much salt, it's all a guessing game. As far as parking lots, about 450 to 600 pounds per acre, unless your putting down heavy to melt off alot of ice then your closer to 800 pounds per acre. That would be for straight salt. I am not sure what the ratio is for sand/salt mix.
  4. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

here is the figure that I use 17-20lbs per 1000sq ft
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That's about what we always come up with, too.