1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to salting, HELP!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turbo5560, Aug 11, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so we have never done any salting in the past. this year i really want to get into it and actually will have to.
    with that said i need some help. I want to start small with just a tail gate or hitch mounted receiver and just use bagged salt. I know it might not be most efficient at first but thats beside the point.
    My question is how do you know how much salt a parking lot will need per time. Is there a ratio for square footage?
    I have seen people do it, but other that that i have no expirence anything info will help!

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes there is a ratio , but it still just depends on your spreader, and the person doing the job.

its kinda like spreading fert... different person walking, different way you might drive around the property , and a different spread could all change how much you use.

plus temps, and conditions, require different amounts

there is a ratio, however, im inthe process of tring to track my usage to see what i used, as it was pointed out that my numbers might be off by a little

3. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

My average production salt usage rates on bagged products are a 50lb bag of ice melt covers between 500-800sq.ft. and takes about 15mins walking, on a tailgate spreader it takes seconds and depends on conditions. Bulk salt is a better way to go. Bulk salt rates are on average 400-600lbs per acre and take from 20-30mins per ton. we also use magic salt products and rates run about a third to half the amount of regular salt. Hope this helps but you need to find the best for you and your contracts.

4. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I use bagged salt also, I have nowhere to store bulk salt, or a way to move it around. From this website I've heard that guys were getting like $40-$50 a ton for bulk, I paid $300 a ton, by comparison. So VERY expensive, compared to bulk, but again, nowhere to store it.

But TurfKing is correct, 50LBS will cover approximately 500 SQFT. I do a large parking lot (FOR FREE) and this year I'll be salting (NOT FREE), and I expect to refill my little salter lots of times before I get to leave the lot.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

for a while, i used 5 gal buckets, filled with bulk

each one holds 50 lbs just like baged produck...but much cheaper after you buy the buckets, they stack, but really couldnt put more than 40 , or 50 in your truck at a time... so depends on how much that you use....but we filled them on the nice Dry days, when i had nothing going on

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You should try the smaller rubbermaid containers. You can stack them and they hold 1 1/2 pails. I had 14 in my truck at all times this winter and actually never got to the bottom ones. When I dumped them in the spring they were still fine.

Filling a tailgate salter gets old real fast, especially at my age. LOL

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

could you dump them in your spreader or did you have to shovel them out?

and yeah , we use the bigger spreaders when possible, but a few accounds need snowblowers, and lots of bagged salt, so this was a good option

8. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

If your going to use bags, just don't overload your truck. if you hook up the salter and fill it your truck capacity may not allow you to put a whole pallet of salt in the bed. I knew a guy who had a total salter weight of around 1000lbs and put a whole pallet of salt in his bed, not only did he snap the springs if his GM 2500 but his fuel bills increased three to four times.

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

sounds like weak springs... i might be overweight, but iv never had a problem , putting 4k plus

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

ditto
    snow ex 1075 , full skid allways, blower and shovels, till I got sick of throwing 90 bags a night and got my my Salt Dogg.

Turfking you out of Great Lakes IL ?

11. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

If you use 5 gal buckets, they are very easy to dump into the spreader. A good rule of thumb is that bulk salt weighs +/-10lbs/gal, so that 5 gal bucket weighs 50#.

I've heard bad things about the Rubbermade totes breaking and cracking due to weight and extreme cold.

12. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

No, Ohio Cleveland area.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

the 5 gal , worked well, on the truck that had a tailgate spreader.

truthfully , i may have a larger acount that is 30 mins from the nearest pile, I expect to bring a full load of salt with me, using a Vbox, but it might be close if i had enough....

with that being said, and no skidsteer on site.... i may keep 40 -5gal buckets somehow, just as a back up, i would need to find away to lock them up, maybe one of those snow ex salt boxes?

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You can lift them up. I dumped them in my Western Pro Flo 2. They are less then 100 lbs.