1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To Post/Not New to site. Chevy 2500 '16. Plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Soful, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Soful

Soful Junior Member

Hey All..
    1st time poster/threader. Not first time on site. Just bought truck INTENDED for plowing.
    2016 Chevy 2500, 6.0, full crew. Plow prep of course. Ext warranty and all.

I am familiar with and have been plowing with Western (10+ seasons), Boss (3+seasons), and fisher (8+seasons). There are pros and cons for each and I have gotten prices from several dealers for each. Additionally, I have been offered an 8' Snow Dogg from a respectable dealer, whose opinion I take seriously, for $1k less than the rest. Fisher, Boss, Western are all within a couple hundred of each other, boss being the least expensive. I absolutely detest the boss handheld controller however. I cannot tell you how many times I have been trying to move snow into a pile, and because the way the L/R overcasts the Up/Down, I have mistakingly gone horizontally and not vertically. Fisher is prob, my best bet, considering the company I plow for all use fisher, so parts/ etc are easily interchangeable and ordered. I am not a fan of the 6" only Trip. I have not had too many issues so far, but now its my truck, its new, and Im paranoid. JK. But seriously.
    Western is the cadillac, has everything i need and want, but dealers and parts are scarce around here.

Anyone have any insight on: A) Snow dogg - reliability, dependability, mount/control, service, etc. B) Fisher/Western differences, C) Chevy notes - any notes on which plow responds to chevy the best.

Any and all POSITIVE feedback is welcome. Its trigger pulling time and my research has gotten me here. I could use some deciding factors. Please remember, I am not new to this site - Please, if you have nothing nice or productive to say - save yourself the time and move along ; )

I appreciate the time fellas/ladies, and LET IT SNOW !!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Lets start with your passive aggressive comment about advise. Doesn't matter if you are new or not, you don't get to choose who responds. I have never cared whether a member is new, I give my opinion. Some times that member likes it, sometimes they don't.

Now that is out of the way lets start with width. IMO 8' is too narrow for a fullsize crew cab truck. 8' 6" would be the minimum. I would also suggest looking at the weight of the plow. Heavier plow normally means stronger plow. You say you are worried about trip edge, in the 8 seasons with Fisher plows did it every become an issue? Same for full trip, how many times did you loose your snow? Most of us here are loyal to one brand, which you should know since you are not a new member. I stick with Fisher since I know the local dealer well enough to pull my truck into his shop, use his tools to repair anything that may come up. I am not a Buyers fan, have run ins with their customer support with spreaders and was not impressed. Buyers has some major issues with spreader controls. Fisher and western use same wiring, pumps, rams, controls (buttons are different color). Pretty much just hardware is different.

Most of the guys I know plowing with Chevys at the least crank up torsion bars. Some are running straight others V plows and even a few XLS. None have had any major issues not caused by driver stupidity. Like damaging headgear and jack stand when they forget to put it up.

So in the end pick whatever plow YOU think will work best for you. They all have their own issues but again most of those issues come up because the driver did something they shouldn't have.

Feel free to let me know if this is positive feedback or just mean and unproductive. ;)

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I'm only familiar with Western and Snowdogg. Used Western for 10+ years, and now the Snowdogg for 4 commercial plowing seasons. I like Western and always have. No complaints there. Now I've been using the Snowdogg and have had zero issues with it since buying it. I like it a lot, other than the mounting system and how low the mount hangs on my truck when the plow is not on. Western's got it beat there with their removable receivers. Other than that, love the Snowdogg, and don't regret my purchase one bit.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Welcome first off.

As said above, you will get mostly garbage and a touch of good info on here depending on who is around at the time of your post.

Kimber pretty well got it all for you.

I am a Western guy... so is most everyone in my area... know why... dealer support. We have a bunch of dealers in the area. Parts are quick and easy to get. Couple of the dealers have just about every part for every plow western has made.

I typically use the reference of why guys run the color of farm or construction machines that they use... all goes back to your dealer/ parts support in the area that you reside in.

If you have easy access to Fisher parts, stick with what you can get the parts to keep you out there plowing and not waiting for parts to be UPS'ed or having to drive 100 miles round trip just so you can hang a certain color plow on the front of your rig.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Asks for advice and doesn't come back for a week. Typical new member. :hammerhead:

JustJeff and FredG like this.
  6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

With the attitude in the opening post he's probably a :terribletowel:and knows it all anyways. :nod:

SnoFarmer likes this.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

x2.
    Aint nutt'en like complaining aboot free help.

he says he is not a "new to the site" with only one post.....

He has years of experience.
    Yet decides on a snow-dog and wants our input.

The "reputable" dealer just wants to sell you any plow he can,
    its his way of making a living.

why not stick with what ya know?

ps plowing for $$$ (ie using it for a business like commercial snowplowing, can void part of your warranty,
    read the fine print in the warranty.

but you can afford a new truck why quivel about saving 1k on a cheaper plow?
    ive never used a snow dog, but i have looked at them and they dont look as stout as some of the other plows

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The Company you work for uses Fisher, Parts & service are available with ease. Just by a Fisher, This could save you a nite mare in the future. The 1K you save in the initial purchase could cost you twice that if your truck is down for a parts or service issue.

Whats up with the no response thing???? You received some good advice here, Most not opinion, In theory.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Time to close this one out, boys!!!!

Philbilly2, Randall Ave and kimber750 like this.