1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Plowsite...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, May 30, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Will be putting a plow on my 2000 Silverado extended cab 1/2 ton this winter. Been out of the snowplowing business for a few years and will be getting back into it this next winter. In previous years I had a Western plow on a 1977 GMC Jimmy, then another Western on a 1984 Ford reg. cab.

The dealers I have near by are Blizzard, Boss, Western. I want to get away from the chain lift if possible, not sure if they even still manufacture plows with that system anymore, but I always hated it.

Anyway, I know I may not get many responses due to the time of year, but I need to plan now for later. Hell, as cold as it's been here in Minnesota I may be plowing instead of mowing next week!

Buck

2. snoking

snoking Senior Member

all of the boss plows are chainless, as are the blizzards, western still uses chain. Im die hard boss, but i like the blizzard and trying one out this coming year....

3. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Welcome to this site Up North. Good luck in your re-entry to pushing snow!

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the new ultramount systems are really nice

5. trukoutftr

trukoutftr Junior Member

check into Hiniker. they are out of Mankato and offer a 7 1/2' plow that I have put on several 1/2 tons that works well, and easy to hook up to. takes about 2 minutes and has no chains and very smooth operation.

6. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Of course in my area Fisher is the big boy but almost all plow manufacturers have at least one or two solid models.

I would be careful what you chose for a plow as the Chevy, GMC's usually don't take the front end weight very well, in addition you have an extended cab which adds more weight as do diesel motors if you have one. I would check the manufacturers specs on gross front axle weight to make sure the truck will be safe. A Blizzard 810 is 1,000# for example so it is important to look at all the variables.

Also if your vehicle is under warranty I am almost sure a plow on a 1/2 ton will void it.

You are right it was cold in MN, we just got back from the symposium. I had the chance to drive up to Duluth before I left and the waterfront was beautiful. You live in a very clean state, Minneapolis had no homeless, no garbage, no smell - it had polite drivers, grass, trees -It blew my mind! Nothing like the city!! - michael

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Thanks for the info North County. And yes MN is a nice state to live in. We love it and don't know where else I'd want to be. As far as the 1/2 ton I think if I go with the Blizzard light duty to get started I'll be ok. It only weighs 550lbs, so the truck should be able to handle that.

Thanks again!

8. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

The Chevy can handle that plow just fine. The light duty blizzard is a good plow. I use one on my 2001 1500 Dodge. Back drags very well for a lighter plow. I shaved an hour off my route with this plow. I had a Pathfinder (710 lbs) before the Blizzard and the backdragging was terrible. My customers were commenting to me how nice and clean their driveways were this year.

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

cjc810,
    That's good to hear. The Blizzard seems to be a decent plow. I used to do quite a bit of snowplowing when I was a youngster and am looking forward to getting back into it. We always used Western plows but I really want to get away from the chain.

I don't what it is about plowing, but I always had such a peaceful feeling being out in the middle of the night with the snow falling and nobody else around except for some other guys plowing.

One question I should ask is how easy is it to take off the light tower on the Blizzard plows? Can it be taken off with the plow at all? It appears it has to come off after the plow is removed, is that correct? I wouldn't take it off everytime, but it seems as if the Blizzard light tower really sits high compared to the others and I would probably like to take it off once in a while.

Thanks guys!

Buck

10. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I know Blizzard changed the design on the 810 so that no tools were needed to remove the lights, just pull two pins. They are very easy to take off. I am not sure about other models. - michael

11. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

All the light towers are 2 pins unplug the lights and pull off. very easy on off system. The quick hitch system works great. It takes you longer to walk from the plow to the cab than to put the plow on.

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Sounds like a done deal for me. I've seen (on Plowsite.com)some guys talk about Timbrens (?), I assume they install in the front suspension some how. Is that something I should consider or should I be fine without them? My plans are to do some light commercial property and personal driveways, I'm guessing 10-15 accounts this first season. Of which I could be plowing by tomorrow as our first day of summer here in northern MN is 57* right now. Might have to get ready for some ice fishing...

Thanks guys!

Buck

13. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

get a 8' Western Pro unit with the ultra mount.

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

yup, timbrens basicly just replace your stock bump stop up front. I have em on my truck. Good investment for 20 minutes work and a bit over 100$

15. Up North

Up North Senior Member

ratlover, are they easy to install? Something I can do in my own shop?

I should check to see if they have a website.

16. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

the only thing i don't like about the blizzards is that their mount hangs way too low for my liking. if you need ground clearance then i would not get a blizzard. otherwise they are great plows .

17. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

The undercarriage on the Blizzard is no lower than any other popular plow maker. On the GM's you just raise the torsian bars a few turns and the front end is high enough.

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why do you want to get away from the chain?

19. ratlover

from IL

if you have a total hydralic failure you can drive your tuck into a bank and short chain it to get home, although I think blizzard makes hole deals in their plow were you can do the same thing and pin it up?

Timbrens are easy to install. Jack up the front of the truck. Pop the front tire off to give you a bit more room(although iam scrawny and i think I did it with the wheel on) and take the nut lose holding on the factory bumpstop(rubber thingy probably yellow that normaly sits on the a arm) replace it with the timbren and your done. 1 beer job depending on how hot it is :drinkup:

20. ratlover

from IL

I was just guessing on the lift chain

oh.....he says he wants to get away from it not keep it. Now he has me puzzled???