1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to PlowSite

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ice Damned, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Ice Damned

Ice Damned Junior Member

Just joined and wanted to say hello. Im hoping to add plowing to my services. Probably not this year as its a bit too late. :waving:

2. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I started with a 24" 2 stage snow blower doing residential work. You can try that way this year.

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what kind of experience you have with snow removal, but like 32 said above, you can get some shovels and a blower. You can sub for another company this year, that way you're not too late to the party, but can still learn what is involved with professional snow removal. That way next year you can get your plow and have what you need for shovelers too.

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to PlowSite .... Good Advice from post #2 & #3

5. Ice Damned

Ice Damned Junior Member

Thank you for the replys! I currently have a '03 F-250 with a western setup and a toro 24" snow blower. I used to push snow in a township not far from here and have done some residences in my area. Never anything huge. My business can get slow in the winter so looking to expand and make some money in the winter. I never thought of subbing for someone but thats great advice. If the time does come i can always call my broker and have this added to my policy.

6. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Now you don't make as much as you would from getting your own contracts, but I personally enjoy being a subcontractor. I have a deck company and we work all that we can, but snow and icy conditions are too dangerous. I don't have time, nor want the headaches of finding all my own contracts for snow. I just go to one company, have all my properties give to me, get a phone call when to start getting guys ready, and only have one check to get. Also if something happens I can just call the company and get help (although I haven't done it, and can't imagine they would be too happy, but it's an option).

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If I were you i would be a subcontractor, way less headaches since it sounds like your company still gets work during the winter, although slow. You won't have to worry about billing, stocking supplies at sites (if required) or any of that, you just get paid to plow.

Only saying that since it sounds like you are thinking more of a commercial gig for plowing, but even residential being a sub is good. Then you don't get the annoying 100's of phone calls during the storm.

8. Ice Damned

Ice Damned Junior Member

Thank for the great advice! Ill try reaching out to a few guys to see if they need any subs but im sure at this time they have all of the sorted.

9. r6mikeyo

r6mikeyo Junior Member
    from Erie,PA

I subbed for years. You can learn a whole bunch. Lots more than just pushing snow around. Hook up with a reputable company and pick thier brains. Then slowly get your own. Keep the money flowing is the end game!

10. Ice Damned

Ice Damned Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll seek to do some subbing. I currently have 2 churches that I've been doing the past 2 years along with a handful of driveways. I never advertised as I don't believe in it.

11. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Advertising was worked for me. I added three jobs last year. Two were good accounts, the other I do not plan on calling back this year.

12. Michael DeRose

Michael DeRose Junior Member

Advertising is the key to building a business. You can only get so many referrals before you need new accounts.

13. Ice Damned

Ice Damned Junior Member

I agree advertising can be good but all of my work is from word of mouth. I used to run a small ad in the yellow book but yanked it about 4 years ago. As for me, about 90% of the business I do comes directly from insurance companies or TPA's. Winter can be a little rough on us though.