1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to PlowSite.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jacob Glessing, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Hey, I'm Jacob, newbie to this site. I've managed a sidewalk snow removal crew for four Winters now, but I haven't been a button pusher/ plow driver yet. I'm looking to get in a plow truck next Winter, and I'm not sure which path to take.

Sub contract, solo business, or employee?
    What's the major difference?
    Which one makes more money?
    Which provides more hours of work?

I don't have a truck/ plow, but intend on getting a truck next year, and getting rid of my little car.

Thank you.
  2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

best way to go is start as a sub. learn the ropes of plowing get used to it then get your own contracts and branch out on your own slowly. sub next year the following year sub again and get a couple of your own and keep building your customer base untill you can go out on your own completely
  3. Thank you for your opinion. I'm sure I'll get a lot of opinions, and I understand that this business is far from a quick decision. That's why I'm here, looking for advice on where to start, and what direction to go.

Is it wise to sub, and have your own contracts?
    The last thing I would want to have happen in that situation, is sub for someone, and end up being over loaded, and have to worry about my own contracts at the same time.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome Jacob.......:salute:

Im with plowman..The best way to learn is subbing for a larger company...That way you will learn the ins and outs of plowing...Also...Use the Search button on here...There ALOT of threads on this subject.....Good Luck and i hope it works out for you....:drinkup:
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

search button is your friend and happy reading