1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plows and need some help

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by lDaGGerl, Oct 19, 2012.

1. lDaGGerl

lDaGGerl Junior Member

I've done some research and think I have a list of the parts that I'll need but I want to double check that before I do anything. To start off; I'm getting into snow plowing and lawn care for the first time this year and happened to come across an awesome plow for about $100 but its missing the main pump and truck mounting system along with the wiring. I believe its a meyer 7.5 blade with the custom mount but I'd like to hear from everyone first. It has up and down as well as side to side so I believe I'll need a 4 way valve pump to use it completely. The pump unit I seem to find most often is an meyer E-47 pump. I have a couple of pictures you can take a look at. On sunday I'll be picking it up.

So let me know what you think and if I'm on the right track. BTW, its going to be going on a 2003 Chevy 1500. Please don't give me greif about it being a 1500, its what I have and honestly for the couple of hours I'll be plowing its going to be fine, and it tows my 7x16 enclosed trailer like a dream. I want to upgrade to a 2500, 3500 with a diesel when I make enough money but for right now its got to be the 1500. Thanks for looking.
  2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I would run far far away from that plow personally. Gonna be $$$ to get it to work on that truck....plus the mount will have to be custom made for it
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK so you have a 8 foot commercial plow and half a jeep wrangler mount, buy a ez mount lift frame (list $560) and frame mount (list $900) a set of night sabers ($350+) headlight adapters (about $200 including daytime headlight module,) a control (+60) a harness (+70) and a used pump ($500+ for a good used E-60) and a leveling kit or set of timbrens so you'll have about $2,800/3K before install in a used plow. Not bad for too mulch plow for the truck.Thumbs Up
  4. lDaGGerl

lDaGGerl Junior Member

Can you elaborate? This is my first time working with plows so I'm not sure what makes it more difficult. I'm plenty good at working with metal, I have a welder and torches and anything needed to fabricate.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

$100 for the plow isn't bad, it's worth $3/500 or more to the right person. He's just not the right person:cool:
  6. lDaGGerl

lDaGGerl Junior Member

I still don't exactly understand what you mean can you please give a few more details as to the list you've created. You're saying the mount with the lights on it is designed for a jeep and not a custom mount for any vehicle? Also why does it need a E-60 pump vs. the E-47? Like I said I'm new to this so I'd like just a bit more information if you could. Aside from lighting, wiring and leveling the truck I'm more focused on mounting to the truck and the mount on the truck as well as the pump. I'm new to plows but not to vehicles nor metal fabrication.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Concern yourself with wiring. you can destroy your truck as fast using the wrong wiring components as you can if you start welding to the sub structure
  8. lDaGGerl

lDaGGerl Junior Member

Awesome, thanks for that info. I'll take a look at what I can do and what can be done. Again thanks for going a bit more in depth with that as its exactly what I was looking for.
  9. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

8 ft is to much for a 1500 you want a 7.6
  10. lDaGGerl

lDaGGerl Junior Member

I don't believe its an 8' foot plow.
  11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i'll bet the pivot pins are siezed up too...47 is a good pump but slower
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A tape measure will tell you

Yeah I'd bet the PP are seized :nod:, they're a real b**** to change on the C-series blade with that pivot box design.
  13. rwdelling

rwdelling Junior Member

Basher is 100% correct. It will take a good $2000-$3000 to get this plow up and running and mounted depending on how handy you are. I spent $300 on my first "dream deal" for a "complete" used plow back in the day and then had to do the following;

-completely rebuild the E 60 Pump including new lift ram, motor, cylinder, and all 3 valves
    -Replace both angle rams
    -all new hoses
    -new battery
    -replace all bolts and mounting hardware including both side straps for chevy 1500
    -unsieze both rusted pivot pins (took 6 hours) and replace new ones with grease fittings
    -sandblast and repaint entire moldboard
    -replace cutting edge
    -buy all wiring and solenoid for power
    -Have the kingpin holes on the A frame welded because they were egged out
    -replace both trip springs

All said and done I put $1500 into it doing ALL of this work myself including the pump rebuild. Good luck and learn your lesson now!!!!! No such thing as a good used plow deal for under $1,500.
  14. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

15. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

thats an 8' blade for sure all meyer 8' and up have 4 trip springs, a 7'6 has 3, and 6 has 2....

trust me use mills supply in cleveland ohio for parts as they are cheaper than anyone i know.... i live in cincinnati ohio and it was cheaper to send my pump to them for a full rebuild and them send it back then it was to have ANYONE local do it... and all their parts are cheaper than any other supplier i have seen thus far...

that 8' blade is a bit much for the 1500 unless you plan to do some serious upgrading.... reguardless if you only use it very little, that is alot of weight on ANY stock front end, you will learn that real quick as it will wear the **** out of all kinds of parts in just one season....

you will def need to ballast the rear end as when you lift that blade you are adding massive weight to the front and taking more weight off the rear which equals very much less traction on rear end and using your 4wd to compensate will only wear out the front even more....i would say you will want to get a pretty accurate weight of that plow and ballast your rear end 150%

if the plow weighs 1000lbs put 1500lbs over rear axle.... and then you are maxing out rear suspension at thaat time so plan on upgraading the rear end as well with at least some helpers
  16. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

My only advice is to listen to these guy's. They have been there done that, and they have nothing to gain so they give you un-biased opinions and advice.
  17. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

BTW .i run a 10 footer on 1975 1/2 ton chev FRONT wheel drive truck:salute:
  18. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

Btw..... A truck from the seventys were real trucks, 90s and above started getting softer suspensions to make for more comfortable rides, therefore they are not as strong as older ones
  19. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

and a 75 chevy was rear wheel drive, not front wheel drive.

unless of course you have a 4 wheel drive and took the rear drive shaft out.
  20. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

I believe that this is the style mount that you would need to be able to use that blade.

http://ww2.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-804 R 17138 Mtg..pdf

I'm a Ford guy but, if i remember correctly the A-frame is pretty much the same.

I would tell you to find a complete plow setup, making this work for you truck and buying all the parts you will need will cost as much as a nice reconditioned plow.
    I have done this before building a plow One-Piece-At-A-Time and it ended up cost just as much as a good used plow when it was done.