1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bojango, Oct 26, 2009.

1. bojango

bojango Junior Member

Hello, all,

The past few years I have been snow blowing driveways to make a little extra cash. This year I am looking to get a plow. I own a 2000 Toyota Tundra. I was looking at the Suburbanite, and Homesteader plows. Will these plows be good enough for me? I am currently a college student, so I will probably only be doing 10 driveways or so, 15 at the very most, because I don't want this to interfere with my school work, so basically, It will be a pretty light workload.
    Also, I read that the suburbanite and homesteader is basically the same plow, is this true? I saw a plow mount that fits my truck for a suburbanite plow for sale. Will this work with the homesteader as well? Are the other parts basically interchangeable as well?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to hearing back from you guys.

2. Troy5061

Troy5061 Member

Hi and welcome to the site. I personally would not use a homesteader for more than 1 or 2 driveways they are very light duty but I guess it all depends on how long the driveways are.

3. NoBigDeal

NoBigDeal Junior Member
    from Midwest

Yes, the Suburbanite and the Homesteader are the same plow so the mount should work.
    15 driveways is a lot for a light duty plow and another thing to consider is since you have such a tight schedule you might not be able to plow multiple times during a snowstorm so you might end up pushing a foot or more at a time depending on where you live putting more stress on your equipment.

Good luck,

Tom

4. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Pick up the Boss 7' or the 7' 6" light duty plow. Just in case you need to do something bigger and they are reliable.

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Get insurance before you do anything, one wrong move and the only school you'll find yourself in is the school of hard knocks. (most of us got our degree there)

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you would be happier long term with a Fisher HT/Western HTS. But the Homesteader/Suburbanite would be fine for a few drives.

I graduated early from there. Went on to Crowbar College for my graduate studies.