1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jspivxl102, Jan 17, 2003.

1. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

Hello to everyone.
    I ran into this site and was hoping that maybe some of you experienced snow plowers could give a novice a few tips. I'm looking for an inexpensive snow plow. I plan on using it mostly for driveways, so it doesn't have to be super-heavy duty. I'm mounting it on a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with 4WD, a 4.0 6CL engine, and a 5 speed manual transmission. I realize that this is not the "ideal" plowing vehicle. It is probably a little small and the manual transmission can't be a great thing. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should look for? Any name brands, types of plows, plow sizes, or anything like that would be appreciated. I need to keep it fairly cheap though.
    Thanks for your help.
    JP

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to plowsite.

I think a snoway would be your best choice based on weight vs performance,but may be hard to find one cheap.You can check them out here. www.snoway.com

I see a lot of those trucks with the little light duty meyers on them.I'm sure you could find one around cheap. Here are some for your Jeep. http://www.meyerproducts.com/vehicle_match/jeep/index.html

I'm sure more guys will chime in with more info and ideas.

3. farmertim

farmertim Member

Welcome.

My 2 cents worth would be to use the jeep as a passenger vehicle and go buy a heavier truck with a plow on it already.
    a stick is hard on the left knee, and a jeep isn't going to carry or push a very big plow or any amount of Richmond VA snow.
    Look at the sales portion of this site to get an idea of the cost of one and find one in your area.
    This all depends on your work load as to how much you want to spend.

tim

4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I think your jeep would be fine, its got the I-6 engine, and nice short wheel bese. I would look at a 6 1/2 ft plow, Western, Meyer, etc most of the manufacturers have a light duty plow for import trucks/jeeps.

5. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

jeep?

I agree with farmer wrangler yes downsized or xj jeeps are really more for the family ride. front end would need some revamping comach pickups, were ok but still sagged abunch in the front end real light too ! would take aot of ballest . i have worked for a jeep dealer for 10yrs jeep use to really be into the plow market years ago the ole grand wag was a really comfortable rig and of course the real true jeep plow vech in my view was the old j-10 full sized pickup . just my thoughts good luck.

regards fred

6. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

thanks

Thanks for the input everyone. Buying a truck would be great, but its not really an option right now. Maybe this summer.
    JP