1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lsylvain, Dec 3, 2002.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain Junior Member

Hi guys I've been doing lawn mant for 5 years now and have been thinking of getting into the snow business. I keep putting it off, but this year one of my accounts asked me to do their snow.

For $800 the job is mine.

Just the parking lot no sidewalks, although I'm sure they would give the the sidewalks too is I wanted them.

The lot is maby 300 yards long and 10 passes with the truck at the widest point. It looks to me that it wouldn't take long at all. So why have they been paying $800. Is there something I am missing, as far as costs involved, problems what would make the job worth $800?
  2. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

$800 for each time you do it I hope.

Communication is key. sort out all details of expectations and responsibilitites before you start and then get it on paper
  3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

With a lot that long, it's not always as easy as it looks. even though its not that wide the snow will really build up when windrowing even in a 3" snowfall with a lot that long it would probably build up too much to take it one direction. You will have to take it at least 2 different ways. Also do they expect you to keep the snow up on the curb. Remember it will build up on the curbline and start coming into the parking lot. If thats the case you will need to haul it and dump it somewhere or what we do is have a skid steer with a 6' blower and we blow the snow up farther on the grass. I'm sure the $800 is reasonable but remember nothing is ever as easy as it looks. (Usually)
    Just my 2 cents. :D
  4. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Unless you're experienced with plowing (sounds like you're not) you need to think about this. Maybe draw it out. Not sure where you're from so don't know how much snow you will likely get for a season. But -

Do you need to buy equipment (truck? Plow?)

For a 6" snowfall, you want to plan not plowing more than about 50' in any one direction before pushing it off somewhere. Unless you're windrowing, then in your situation you're only making the next pass worse.

How many times during the season are you likely to plow?

You will need room to plow well back of the lot in the beginning to allow room for following snows. Or have the means to haul it away and a place to haul it to.

You will need insurance specific to snowplowing - Commercial Vehicle and General Liability.

Does "10 passes" side mean it's 75 feet wide (7'6" wide plow x 10)? That leads to a whole lot more discussion.

I agree with Acorn - $800 a trip sounds about right for a lot that size surrounded by sidewalks

Do I see right? You've been registered on PlowSite since Feb '01 and this is your first post? Welcome to PlowSite :drinkup: .
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2002
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain Junior Member

Yeah this is my first post on plowsite. I'm registered with lawnsite and I guess we you are resistered with one you are registered will all the sites.

Yeah the lot is about 75 wide or so at widest maby 18 feet at the smallest. Snow doesn't stay on the ground for long here usually 1 or 2 days and we usually don't get more than 4" at a time. So I don't have to worry about hauling it off or anything.

This will also be the only job I take for this season, so I can devote myself to this one job and in the case of big snows won't have to worry so much about the snow getting too deep to cause problems.

I don't have a plow yet I'm meeting a guy today about getting a used one put on my 3/4 ton. Then if we do have an unusual winter I'm going to get a new one put on my 1/2 ton or visa versa.

This is a hud cmplex so the people that run it are really laid back and would rather not even get the place plowed, but the govt. makes them. So I figure this will be a good job to get started with, because if I don't do the perfect job the first few times or my truck dies or whatever they wont be upset.

Anyway thanks for the help guys
  7. lsylvain

lsylvain Junior Member

the manager at the complex says that I can plow when there is just a 1/4 inch on the lot if I want to. what is the normal amount that people usually want plowed. remember I'm WV so most roads around here are so steep some of you "flatlanders" wouldn't drive up them with a log skidder. lol

I got 1M of insurance on my trucks and liability. Getting addtional for snow would bearly be noticable on my bill.

I've thought about renting a bobcat to help out with the big snows if a had too. I have some other landscaping work I have to do up there anyway so i can do the 2 birds1 stone thing.

8. tecton

tecton Junior Member
    from WV

where in wv are you?

im in beckley and our snows are usually 6-7 inch...

i say plow when you can...remember not everyone has 4wd...hafta look out for them....come to think about it...everyone in beckley does have 4wd, lol...truck capitol of the world

whats this about not pushing more than 50 inches of 4inch snow?

we've plowed feet...2, 2 1/2 feet of snow in my truck....am i missing something?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2002
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Tecton, I'm not sure but if you're referring to my post that was advising against pushing more than a 6 inch snowfall more than about 50 feet. Just gets too much out front, too high and too heavy. Just the way I try to plan it. I have a truck and plow, not a bulldozer :eek: .

That's if you can't windrow.