1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing.....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by puffer, Dec 7, 2008.

1. puffer

puffer Junior Member

I Just purchased my first plow,a Western 7' straight blade for a 2004 Silverado 2500 hd 6.0.Finally got it working right.I know its a bit late to get into plowing, but my Construction biz is slowing down and i figured might as well try and make a few bucks. What is the average price to plow residential drives? Say 75' long and 15' wide no salt just plow?Within 5 miles of shop? Whats the best way to advertise this late in the year? Paper?Flyers? I live on a buisy highway US 10 and i figured id park my truck out front and advertise for plowing.Keep in mind i live in a smaller town and theres not a lot of money around here (central Michigan)Thanks for your help.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

For residentials I charge a minimum of 35 bucks and adjust it from there. Each Tier of snowfall (2"-6")(6"-10") I charge anywhere from 10- 15 more, and at least 15 bucks for a return charge for drifting.

After that, larger lots, drives, etc.. I just have to look at it and get an idea of how much time it will take, and what's a good "Market Value" for your area.

Have you had any experience in plowing before, or are you as green as the summer grass.

If you live in a small town, then go get to know your fellow community members. Once people figure out what you do, then you'll get calls. It takes time to get a reputation.

In the larger market I plow, I just made friends with a few other landscapers who were loaded up with commercial accounts, and they had no problems passing off residential accounts to me as they wanted to focus on commercial accounts.

Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Mid-Michigan you are not going to get what anyone from Illinois is getting. You will be lucky to get $10 a drive over there.

If I were you I would contact a contractor already in the biz and try to get work lined up that way. This late in the season you may get a few wave overs but that ain't going to pay your gas.

Not to burst your bubble but Michigan is stuck in 1985 or before pay-grades for plowing.

4. puffer

puffer Junior Member

Well i hope to get more than $10 a pop! I had a guy plow for me and he charged $25 per plow (90' long 15' wide). I recieved his estimate a month ago and he went up to $35 per plow. Im hoping for $20-30 per plow? Maybe i should call around for over the phone estimates to get a ball park number? Or is that the wrong thing to do?

5. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

I would say thats fine. Thats what I did!! Good Luck

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to stick to small drives with that rig. 7 foot is not enough blade for that truck for doing roads or lots unless they're small amd you can push with your blade fairly straight.

It's not worth doing for less than $25 dollars a pop. At that rate you be lucky to make more than $75 dollars and hour unless they are real close.

Try to get a job subbing, you'll make as much money or more, with a guaranty of work and the chance to learn something about the business.

Search this site, the questions you're asking (and many more you haven't even thought of yet) have been answered many times.

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:

7. puffer

puffer Junior Member

I take that back,its a 8' blade.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome and grab a drink and read the forums. Lots of great advice.
    $25 a drive sounds fair.

9. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I agree with basher. Fuel, insurance, maintanence, travel $25 min.

10. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

I would drive it everywhere you go with plow on it. Use door magnets. Take it to church on sunday. Things like that.