1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing....

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by SDPlowman, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

Hi guys. I've been looking around this forum for a while now, and a lot of you seem to know your stuff. I will soon be tossing around a lot of questions :dizzy:
    I have a 2000 F-350 SD 4x4 with the 5.4 V8. It is an extended cab short box.
    From what I've learned I need at least an 8' plow. The problem is my wife and I just bought our first house, had a baby (now a 7 month old crazy boy:)), and of course bought my truck. So we happen to be broke. I know a guy who will sell me a pretty beat down Sno-Way 7.5' plow for about $400. It works fine, but the blade has been patched in a couple of places and I will be making a mount for my truck. I know this isn't the best option, but it's about all I can do for this winter. I'm not sure what plow it is, but I'll have pics up as soon as I can. I guess I am just looking for some input. Will I be able to survive up here in Northern Michigan?
    BTW I'm a mechanic at a Mazda/Ford dealer and my dad has professional welding and fabrication skills. Thanks for any info you guys have.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Welcome to Plowsite:D

We'll skip right over the size of the plow. It's not big enough but a set of Lambert's wings later on will help deal with that if it becomes an issue.

Don't build your own mount. try to find a used one. you need a 99100369. mount building requires a certain "skill or knowledge" set particularly with a unit that has a triangulated lift mechanism plus loads in both directions.

Find a three pin center at least. you could try duplicating this

http://www.snoway.com/service/Subframes/97100635f.pdf

but the center piece pin locations are exacting and the time and materials you would use would far out way the cost of a mount. particularly since instructions don't include material thickness, or alloy (Snoway LOVES high tensile steels, it's lighter.) Note how they "hang" the mount all the manufacturers do this must be critical in this application.

In other words, buy the mount.

JMO

3. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

sd plowman just start looking on craigslist, ebay, in up sate ny we have want ad digest. start looking around this is the time of year to get deals on plows. guys are selling them so they can get the new models coming out. they are out there. i just bougt a complete set up for my f 150 for 2200.00, that included mounts, contoler, and wiring
    just to give you an idea of the deals you can pick if the link doesnt work look for this posting under the sno way forum [Sno way mt on f 150] mine is the gold color truck

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=65849

4. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

the guy I'm buying the plow from gave me the serial # on the plow: DB1037-C.
    can anybody tell me what plow this is? thanks

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not a vaild #. The serial number is on the a frame or the pump sticker. It should start

24g
    24d
    25d
    25g
    htg
    htd
    mtg
    mtd

one of those

6. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

crap..well I guess I'll have to ask him to look again. do you know how much it would cost to get the 3 pin center piece? I have pics but no way of getting them on here right now. it comes with some sort of center section. I do know that it is an older plow that originally came off an older 3/4 or 1 ton Ford (like a 90's truck). I'll work on the pics. I really gotta get rolling on this we had snow yesterday! thanks for the continued help.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you need the entire kit. your truck the 3 pin mount is a 99100396. They are becoming pricey, the factory kicked the price way up because of "reduced" production:confused: but a popular mount never the less.

I have one left in stock at last years pricing if you're interested call Kim@ 8884482464 between 8:30 and 3 EST

8. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

alright I finally bought the plow. it is a 25D. is that the same mount that you told me before?
    Can I just buy the side plates (#'s 2 and 3 in the install diagram)?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No available except as an entire mount