1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mattsmom, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Mattsmom

Mattsmom Junior Member

I am new to plowing and need help. I have a 1985 Dodge Ramcharger 4WD 318 Engine and I am looking to put a plow on it. Nothing pretty something used but I don't know where to start. What size can my truck handle? I live in Connecticut so I don't get a ton of snow I just want to be able to do my driveway and maybe a neighbor. Thanks Laura
  2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Sounds like any 7.5 plow would work for ya.
  3. Mattsmom

Mattsmom Junior Member

If I buy any 7.5 plow say off ebay how will I know if it fits or ...I know nothing about these things so as much info as you can give me would be helpful. If a used plow comes off a Ford 150 would it attach to my Ramcharger...do I just buy a new mount that fits my truck?
  4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Your gonna have to look around to find an old style plow that will fit your truck. 7 1/2 or 8 feet should do. Try classified adds and call around to local scrap yards. Its definitly not a truck you want to put a new plow on.
  5. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Ok, I started out with the same truck when I first plowed and its a great platform to learn with. Tight steering, reliable, strong. My suggestion would be to find a used Meyer set up. Most of the Dodges of that era came with plows and most factory options were Meyer Set ups. A 7.5' Meyer with an E-47 pump will do just fine.

There are 3 major components of a Meyer Conventional set up; Pump, Plow blade, and mounting carton. The mounting carton is the only item that is truck specific. If you can find a blade and pump setup cheap than you should be able to find a mounting carton no problem. I got one from Storks Auto and have been real helpful. http://www.storksauto.com/plows/default.php

Will you be installing this yourself or having a shop do it? How much are you looking to spend? On craigslist there are dodge ramchargers with plows for less than $1000. You can take of the plow equipment and scrap the truck for $400.

Any more ?'s keep them coming
  6. Murf67

Murf67 Member

I have all you need on a 88 1500 PU frame/pump/blade/controls
  7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Any plow that comes off a full size Dodge from late 70's through 1993 will fit that truck. I run a 7.5 with wings and no issues.
  8. mkotas18

mkotas18 Junior Member

i just purchased a 89 ramcharger 4WD...i want to put a plow on it and i dont know what to use i dont want something pricey just something that will get the job done.
  9. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

I think this fills all your requirements!

10. Murf67

Murf67 Member

E-mail me @ Nomaur2@aol.com I am in NY and have a complete set-up for your Dodge