1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by HUNTER404, Aug 12, 2008.

1. HUNTER404

HUNTER404 Junior Member
    from MN

hey guys i ahve been looking at ur site off and on for about a year always wanted to plow have alot of friends that do it. this will be my first year of plowing i am going to sub for a buddy of mine for the first year and then star getting some of my own contracts

any advice for a new guy in the biz?

2. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Have fun and be prepared. Make sure your equipment is ready before the snow flies. The best advice I ever got was to have all my bases covered, (equipment repairs, extra parts, training, insurance, etc). I know my buddies that sub for me know there is me their buddy, and me their boss, believe me I am two totally different people when it comes to my name and reputation, but both still keep things fun.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Once you have the equipment, preparation is 90% of the battle. It will only take once of having to hook up the plow at 2:00 in the dark in 10" of snow or being broke down and needing the hose and hydraulic fluid that's sitting on the bench in the garage to never make that mistake again. When I get up to go plow, the first thing is to fill the Thermos with coffee, then walk out the house to the attached garage where the truck and plow were backed in so all I have to do is raise the door and drive straight out, plowing as I go.to the first customer.

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

It's my going to be my first yaer too. I already have about 5 dirveways and I'm looking to take on only about 15 at the most for my first year.

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

watch the weather learn to be ur own weatherman. and o have enough money to buy a whole new rig if something breaks. and a heated garage helps too for repairs. i can fix just about anything but my fingers dont work well in 20 inchs of blowing snow. i dout urs do either. Just because you have a truck and a plow dosent mean you can plow snow. it takes years to get good and some pleople cant do it all. its just one of those things. make friends your gonna need them at a dealer at the garage with other plowers. Wave to everybody if they dont wave back then there just uptight. One i am out there to make money dont get me wrong, but i am also out there because i enjoy it. Dont let the chasing of money fool you you have to be safe take your time

6. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Kevin, I completely agree. I know my local news weather people can hardly get things correct. Definetley need friends in the right places. Best friend I ever made is at a local quick oil change business. We are now basicly family and I can pull in their nice warm building anytime and make a quick repair. Do practice, take a ride with a buddy in the beginning learn the ropes and go slow, it does take a long time to learn. I've been plowing for over 12yrs and though I out plow almost all my local competitors I still learn something new every season.

7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

that is alot of great advise number one thing is making sure you are ready for the storm weather it would be 1" or 24" make sure your equipment is ready

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

All great advise guys, also do that pre storm check. Check fluids, angle the plow a few times, up and down, also walk around the plow look for trouble areas. I also carry a plow box in my truck which consists of chains, oil, pins, hoses, and tow chains. Always have a plow box!:salute:

P.S. Bring a few shovels also!

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

all you need is music and gas.......:salute:

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Don't forget the biggie....INSURANCE.

11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya the shovel thing is important and i thought the insurance was understood by now. but i guess i should assume that. everytime i get gas insted of watching that thing suck the money out of my pocket i check the truck. tires springs lights all that stuff. its habit and a good one to have

12. HUNTER404

HUNTER404 Junior Member
    from MN

thanx guys lots of good stuff

13. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Np man....plowsite welcomes you!:waving:

14. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

i have a 1982 ford bronco with a 4 speed manual transmission the truck is in good shape and the guy who i bought it from dropped a 351 winsdor in it the truck runs great i was just wonder if this truck would be good for plowing also the truck has a 4 inch lift with 33/12.5/15 tires i bought the truck to go offroad but my uncle has been plowing for 2 years and says i should look into it