1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MikeD, Dec 8, 2007.

1. MikeD

MikeD Junior Member

I'm glad I found this site searching the web for plowing info, I've read a bunch of the threads and would like some advice. I have an 04 F-150 Lariat super crew. I have heard mixed opinions of whether or not this truck is capable of pushing snow. I will be plowing mostly residential with one commercial 33 unit apartment complea and I need advice on setup, plow size etc. Any advice would be welcome Thanks
    MikeD: help:
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Search under Crew cab. then go to the top of the home page and click on the different plow manufacturers and they will tell you what plow they recommend for your truck.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with a 98 F-150 Ext Cab 4x4, and I think it does pretty good. There are a ton of different plows for your truck out there. Go with a 7'5" plow, probaly light duty or regular duty. I plow with a meyer ST-7'5", but would much rather have another brand. Make sure the plow weight doesnt take you over your axle weight ratio-a plow at about 650# should be good. Get timbrens up front, and put 500# of ballast weight in the bed behind the axle, get some coopers, and make sure everything is lubed up and start pushing some snow.

Here are some good plows your truck:
    Boss Sport Duty 7'6"
    Fisher RD 7'6"
    Sno-Way 29 7'6"
    Meyer St-7'5"
    Blizzard 760 LT
  4. MikeD

MikeD Junior Member

Bladescape2 , Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated
  5. MikeD

MikeD Junior Member

Thank you for your help.
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say that plowing residentials with a 1/2 ton would be ok. The apartment complex may be kinda hard on it if you get a ton of snow. I mean, it may not be able to push it. But, if you have good tires, 4 wheel drive, and take your time, you should be ok. I think that a 3/4 ton would be best, but sometimes, especially when your starting out, you have to use what you have. I would get a Western, Boss, or Fisher plow, a 7.5.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That is a looooooooong truck well over 24' long how long are the driveways around you? if there like mine that truck is way to big for them. Ihad 1976 f150 reg cab reg bed, with the plow was 1 ft shorter than my 24' motor home.
  8. svelasquez

svelasquez Member

I guess you've answered my question...

I recently purchased an 04 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 8ft. bed and this week am installing a Meyer ST75 on it. I too plan on doing mostly residentials for this year and will expand as time and budgets allow in the future. Am I going to be ok with this to begin?

Steve in NJ
  9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

dont buy a meyers plow...for that truck id put a western standard or a fisher on there...i never chose plows over plows but i was at the dealer on friday and he sells meyers and was talkin so much **** on it thats the only reason i say dont buy the meyers...but ull be fine doin what ur goin to do with that truck...good luck
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard good things and bad things about the meyers plows. I will have a Western 8' pro plow for my truck by the end of this weekend. I would go with either Western or Fisher.
  11. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

An 04 super crew is a short truck for being 4 door.They have a very short bed.Parents used to own one.Prolly no longer than a single cab longbed.

Should handle any of the light weight plows just fine.

26 series sno way 7.5 would prolly work nice,had one on a 04 dakota quad cab loved it.Trucks are Prolly about the same length wise.
  12. i/2 ton's have a habit of getting stuck as they are not high enough up 3/4 better .make do with what u got ,just be aware.if u pushin in deep snow , and your truck slides sideways,start shoveling ,cause now u are stuck.can't go forward , can't go backwards , shovel time,keep sand salt in back for a little ballast ,and to use if ya get stuck,find a friend and get a two way radio , c.b.radio , or phone , either way its better with someone out there to pull u out in the a.m.,saftey first , have fun , gary snow
  13. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Not totally true, my 97 1/2 ton sits just as high as my friends 3/4 ton Dodge. Plus I have yet to get it stuck while plowing. I have even buried the blade and still been able to back out of it. I run 400# of ballast, and the truck does not slide when plowing. Good tires and proper weight and you shouldnt have much to worry about.
  14. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I am plowing with a 03-150 FX4 with a blizzard 760ld haning off the front and 500lbs of salt behind the rear wheels and she just keeps pushing and pushing
  15. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Now with all that said about which plow is best for your Truck, mine is a 01' F150 4.6L v8 though no plow yet. bother in law has one in his field,may refurbush it, ok what about the superplow anyone have one