1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Plowing!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by toast, Nov 17, 2007.

1. toast

toast Member

Hello everyone,
    I am new to plowing, but think it will be alot of fun. I just picked up and installed an 8' western uni-mount on my 2000 ford F350, and the front end is sagging quite a bit. The power steering pump is also whining...is that normal for the ps? The truck only has 38000 miles, so everything should still be good.

What is the best "leveling" kit for plowing? I found the Timbren site, are they the industry standard? I am tossing around the idea of getting insurance, and making some $$, but with no experience at all, I might just stick to mine, and my parents driveway for this year. Anyone looking for subs in St Paul?

Cheers,
    Mike

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Timbrins make the truck ride ruff try air shocks or air bags, its a Ford the pumps whine. Too much whining is bad. SO how much you got???

3. elshauno

elshauno Member

Are you putting ballast in the back to make up for the weight in the front

4. toast

toast Member

I will look for air bags, thanks. We got the first dusting of snow this morning.....I assume you meant snow!

No, right now all I have is the front bumper in the bed! The western guide said have the hitch pins at 12-13" with the plow on, and I was at 9, I adjusted the undercarriage up all the way, and its almost 11", but the bumper will need some cutting tomorrow...How much ballast should I use?

5. toast

toast Member

BTW, nice sig PlowMeister! The reason I bought the truck was to pull my Jeeps!!

[​IMG]

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Start by using ballast rather than cranking torsion bars. Put about 500# in the back and see what that does; you may need more. Once you get the truck sitting level, then drive around and see how the front end does. Whether you use something like Timbrens or air bags is really a matter of personal preference. You're trying to lessen the impact, so start with the ballast. If you're only doing your own driveway, there'd really be no need for bump stops or air bags - you wouldn't be driving around with the plow raised, anyway.

Sticking with your driveway to start is a good idea. Done right, taking on other driveways leads to more expense which, in turn, leads to taking more driveways - ad nauseum. Only to find out you don't like plowing snow that much anyway, but by that time you've got a lot of money wrapped up in it and can't just quit.

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Your truck looks like a Diesel? If it is take it to a spring shop and have them add another leaf to the front springs, very common on a PSD to start to settle in the front on or about 35K miles, this will level it off.

If your pump is bad, your steering box isn't far behind, been there and done that too many times with my last PSD. Look into a AGR Super Pump and Super Box, don't go with a Rock Ram set up too much work, just get the Super Box and Super Pump, you won't believe the difference!

I would also have the spring shop align the front end after everything you might want to do, Have them put a Caster/ Camber sleeve on the top ball joint, have them adjust to the max positive camber typically 4-5 degrees, this will take any of the wander out of the truck.

Ballast is also very important, follow your plow manufacturers recommendation and MAKE SURE YOU SECURE IT IN THE TRUCK! Too many guys just throw some heavy stuff in the truck and when it goes sliding aroud you can do some serious damage or harm if it comes loose.

8. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Hey nascar 24 don't you mean caster??? Changing the camber like that is going to destroy the tires. I 2nd the add a leaf in the front spring pack. Depending on how much rake the truck has empty you might need to change the springs to X code. I run X code with a xtra leaf on mine to support the Blizzard.

9. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Ahh yes... I had that jeep thing for a while but it cleared up with some cream my doctor gave me. Now I got this...

[​IMG]

A very abused 1997 Explorer Sport with a D-44 under the front and 36x13.50 IROKs.

10. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Torsion bars on a 2000 F350, hmmm, thats rather interesting.

Mick, go get some sleep :sleeping:, I think the lack of snow is getting to you. :)

11. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

If you are planning on doing any kind of commercial work, Insurance is a must It should be a heck of a lot cheaper that you'll think too.