1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenstar, Dec 21, 2001.

1. greenstar

greenstar Junior Member
    from mi.

hey everybody. i've been scouting this site for a while now really trying to figure out the plow business. i have had great success in lawn care and we have been considering plowing for the last few month's. but to tell you the truth i dont know if i want this kind of a gig.maybe it's locking a consumer into a $250 a year contract never knowing if it will snow ( it's december 21st and no snow in mi.) i watch the news all the time and hear people complaining about snow removal guy's.if anyone has some hard strait advice please lend it out or even better some quality document's ( sample contracts, bidding index) all of this would be great.
    thanks in advance
    jonathan daniel
    GreenStar Commercial Groundskeeping
  2. porter

porter Junior Member

OK guys i'll handle this one since i'm a new memeber myself you may as well do a search before you ask anythign on here
  3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Do a search and...

Join SIMA

Its the best move you can make !!! if you wanna get into snow and ice management.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

If you're near me in MI , then I think you probably shouldn't plow, just send all your customers to me ! :D

Seriously, if I didn't enjoy it first of all, then I'm not sure I would jump into it as an added service. There is obviously money to be made in it, but I wouldn't consider it easy money.

Too many contractors around here just don't take it seriously, and that is exactly why you hear about all the unhappy customers. If you are serious, and its something you enjoy, then all those unhappy people you see on the news are just potential customers in your eyes. :)

I also strongly recommend SIMA, especially for the technical advice from those who have been around the block a time or two.
  5. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green Junior Member

I can relate 3yr in the lawn biz and went full time this
    season but needed winter income. So bought new plow&salter
    trucks all ready to go but not a flake of snow yet.
    This being my first year I decided to only take on 20 of
    my own accounts (lawn customers) and subcontract for a larger
    company to learn the ropes. Paying me $65.00 per truck hr.
    and learning how to plow&salt big commercial lots like K-Mart
    My residentials seasonal price avg. is 280.00 and its invoiced
    over 5mo. period everyone payed nov. premeum (no snow) and
    they paid dec. premium (still no snow) now were getting ready
    to bill everyone for jan. premium.
    I kinda feel like my cutomers feel like there paying for
    nothing but I have to be payed regardless to cover overhead.
    No money for overhead = no equipment for when they do
    need me.
    Im just scraping by now even had to pick up a job
    to get through this drought of snow were in.
    so yes Im praying for snow so I can ditch this 7.00
    meijers job and make some real money. At least I have plenty
    of time to work on next years game plan for the lawn season.:rolleyes:

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Most customers are much less worried about it than you think. They realize we may have a month like last Dec at any time, and that is what they are paying for. Its snow insurance as well as snow removal, and nobody would call their insurance man and ask for a refund because they didnt get in an accident last year.

Remember, that on a huge winter they wont be calling and offering you extra money either for your added time and expense.