1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by John O., Jul 25, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

Hi guys this will be my first season of plowing, i still have one more year left of school so I'm only hoping to get a few residential jobs. I want to try to only get accounts in my neighborhood and plow for people i know. my question is what type of rules i should have as far as when i will plow and how much it has to snow before i plow?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Start by finding out what the customers want. See if you can meet those expectations. Go from there.

3. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

Plowing Rules

Start as early as you can get up in the morning, i mean evening, i mean you will understand soon. In all seriousness the earlier that you start the more people will call you back. some simple rules though are, to plow when you have at least 3 to 4 inches on the ground. pay attention to vechicles around you ( mail trucks, parked cars). Always have some form of warning lite strobes are the standard now and are pretty cost effective. Keep your truck in good running order, no loud exhaust leaking oil or serious body rust. all this will look like you are a low rate company. Weather the job is big or small always clear the lot, snow left will turn to ice balls and can do serious damage to cars, kids, or any thing else in the way. And finally always follow the street laws dont plow snow arcoss streets this is a 500 dollar fine. no ? asked. LAST THING to REMEMBER is just because you have 4 wheel drive doesnt make you invincable take it slow if the roads are bad, better to be safe than sorry.