1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To Plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SlamaNow, Aug 13, 2014.

1. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and new to plowing but I have been reading posts on here for a while.

I am looking to purchase a plow for this upcoming winter. I have found one that I think would be good to start out as a sub. It is a Chevy 2500 pickup regular cab with 160k km and a 8.5' fisher v plow that has a new pump (from last year). I went to check it out yesterday and it rides real nice. the paint job is jus not so nice but hey, its a work truck. the add reads:

"6.0 liter gas with new rebuilt tranny from reputable shop. Rust checked regular, synthetic oil changes, all diffs and transfer case new amsoil synthetic fluids, new high output alternator and battery, new front struts, new tires and second set for summer in perfect shape, heavy duty rear plowing bumper, new power steering pump, belts and tensioner, new fuel pump, new seals on transfer case. Includes 8.5 foot fisher V blade which has new motor last winter and upgraded newer joystick. Extra leaf springs in rear."

e17d9095-4db3-4986-82ef-c1563b3d80ba.jpg

What do you guys think?

e17d9095-4db3-4986-82ef-c1563b3d80ba.jpg

2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

welcome
    its a nice truck sounds like the guy took care of it. just check the ball joints, tie rods, hubs (I know they go fast on these trucks), brakes and any fluid lines (brake. gas. tranny ect.) the 6.0 is a very powerful motor and will be a tank in the snow. what year is it?

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Looks pretty solid to me, jump on it if you feel the price is right

4. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

its year 2000

5. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

hey what is the best place to get insurance for plowing in ontario?

do i need business liability insurance to sub plow or just truck insurance is OK?

6. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

if you don't mind me asking how much?

7. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

less than 9

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

9. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Looks good, one of the things not mentioned was the intake manifold bolts and gaskets? As any used truck that age there could be future repairs but there are many trucks just like that with double or near double that milage. Sounds like many of the expected and common repairs were taken care of.

I have same truck and year but in extended cab.

10. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

The previous owner told me that there needs to be 1000lbs of counterweight in the back for it to handle the plow or the front end will bottom out? is there no way I can beef up the front end?

Also I am a welder so if there are any gusseting I can do to make sure I have a good season let me know.

11. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

To be honest Ive never plowed with anything in the rear. The company I used to work for always left the back empty unless the truck was equipped with a sander. They ran all Fords. I never had any problems and was told the weight in the rear would cause the rear end to wear out faster. Now spending time on this site seems like most do it and what I was told may have been bad info.

Like mine I don't think the one your looking at is a HD and a dealer told me that exact plow would be a little much for my truck, yet you see plenty if the 8600 gvwr OBS trucks with them on. 1000 lbs seems like a lot to me.

I think the had factory gussets until through 2002. Some of the more knowledgable members would need to chime in about all that. You can add timbrens and stuff to the front.

There were some mods done to your truck your looking at my only concern was that it was being used like a 1 ton dual wheel truck, something it is not.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

How is it being used like a one ton dually? That's a normal setup for that truck... And small for a dually..

13. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Not saying it was, most people I know that have 2500 series trucks don't add springs to the rear for basic plowing/general working. Depending on what the heavy duty plowing bumper is it may of been set up for a big sander. If it was used for heavy commercial plowing for over a decade of Canadian winters hauling around a loaded sander the OP may want to take that into consideration, by the picture probably not the case. If I was looking for a used 2500 plow truck I would not buy one that had been run with a sander in the back, but that's just me.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We run 2500s and don't add anything to them. Sometimes they get heaped 3 yards as well.

The only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is an extra leaf. Part wise they are the same

And yeah they have different torsion bars but just crank them

15. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

The plow bumper is just a hardcore bumper made of 1/4"plate so that whatever you hit breaks instead of the truck breaking. Looks custom and its mounted like a hitch.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Did you buy this truck or are you still looking?

17. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

Yes I bought it. Great truck. My mechanic says I made a very good purchase

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

They are great trucks and that is the best cab configuration for plowing IMO.

I have owned 2 of those plows. There is actually 1 still sitting at my shop. They are not the best for plowing packed snow. If possible try to plow before too many people drive over it. The new Fisher's have a steeper attack angle like the Western.

They are a solid plow though.

19. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

I just want to get a leveling kit for it. The pork chops are cranked in all the way and its far from level

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you raise the front end you are going to have to play with the truck side mount after. The plow frame needs to site parallel to the ground. If not when you angle it side to side one of the side's won't be touching the ground.