1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Plowing.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PrecisionS&I, Nov 14, 2012.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

I did it this year and got some of my own contracts. I've never plowed before but I've watch guys plowing the lots at places I have worked and it looks really easy so I figure I can do that.

I found a 94 ford f350 dump truck with an 8.5' meyers plow that I bought for 4300.00. I have read alot on here and I see that most guys say you can plow about an acre an hour and around 650-850 lbs of salt per acre.

So here's my question just want to see if I've gottin in over my head.

I picked up 9 commercial accounts they range in size for 1/2 to 1- 1/4 acres with a total of about 8 acres.
    I priced everything by the square foot with and acre being 43000 sq ft. I figured $28.00 per hour so an acre for $28.00 (thats like $20.00 more an hour than I was making a Subway last years so thats pretty good.)
    Then for salting I figured 850 lbs an acre to be safe. So Im charging like $98.00 dollors a ton applied and Im buying it for like $80.00 so thats $18.00 a ton in my pocket.

And Im not going to get insurance or anything so my overhead is pretty low.
    I think I should make alot of money.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

And Im not going to get insurance or anything:eek:
    i don't think anyone is going to agree with that

3. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Wait for it........:popcorn:

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Ohh my. Where do I start. These guys are going to slam you. You should have asked questions before you got your contracts. I anderstand 28 dollars an hour sounds like a lot I get it but all your doing is driving down the prices in your market. And never ever tell anybody on the site that you're not going to get insurance. You need to edit your post and rethink your whole business plan. You are applying salt for free. And damn near plowing for free.

5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

And it's begun....:laughing::laughing:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

After all the answers we'll give ,this thread will be deleted!

7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I've been thinking about this thread for the last 10 minutes and I'll concluded that this guys just messin with us.

8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Agreed. It's pretty awesome though...

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

ding...ding...ding... And we have a winner!!:nod::nod:

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

94 ford f350 dump truck

Truck like that will burn more than $28 an hour in fuel.

Agreed with the "messin with us" post. The scheme is just too crazy for ANYONE to come up with.

Edit: Mind you... some people really are REALLY REALLY stupid...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

Looks easy, never done it before, have I gotten in over my head?

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA!

$28 a hour? For commercial jobs? Wow. Obviously he came from driving a Prius and hasn't put gas in the truck yet.

Err, Uhm, wait.. Yeah, go ahead, go for it. Sounds like a terrific plan. Let us know how it works out.

12. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I sure as heck hope its a joke, I will say I'm to lazy to look up his other posts & see if this could be true. So I'm assuming it's a joke, but I did see an add on kijiji saying he'll (some guy) cut your grass up to 3/4 ace for $12, so this could be real.

Please tell us your joking!!

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If he's not joking, then he'd be the perfect sub.

He plows for us, does damage or kills someone.....

then we sue him.....

but he doesn't have insurance, so I get to sue his personal assets, take his truck, new plow, and any business assets & other equipment,. They I'll sue his parents, friends, neighbors and last but not least I get to take his dog home with me in my new crew cab....

I could use a new dog....

What's ya think ? Sound like a plan ?:laughing:

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, go ahead and plow my lot, then when you're done........MAKE ME A F'in FOOTLONG SWEET ONION CHICKEN TERIYAKI ON ITALIAN!

15. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

this guys gonna get bashed on here lol
    never say "it looks easy' and ' im not getting insurance"
    just don't hit anything and you will be fine lotsa people don't have insurance

16. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

i have a feeling that if he was joking then he would post by now. If he is serious then why would he post?

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When your slapping your meat around subway for 10 an hour ,28 an hr sounds good!

18. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Sounds like you put more thought into this plan then the OP did into his....haha.

19. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

April 1 in the middle of November....

20. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Yes this was a JOKE! I was bored this afternoon and wanted to be a SMART A$$!
    Just a way to vent about the way this business is headed.