1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oppi2010, Feb 19, 2011.

1. oppi2010

oppi2010 Junior Member

hi im new to the plowing world. right now i sub for a company. next year i want to try and get some of my own accounts. i was just woundering what people figure for wear and tear on the trucks. i have a 2000 ford f250 with a 9 foot western thank
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Figure ball joints every year, bearings every 2-3 years, transmission replacement (not often but you never know), additional depreciation for having a plow on it. The plow will cost you $5-8 per hour to operate depending on it's age and how many hours you put on it.

After the maintenance, figure in your overhead, i.e. operator wages, fuel, insurance, payment, etc.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes there is wear and tear. How fast you need to replace depends how much of an idiot you are plowing. If you don't abuse the truck you can gets years out of it before replacing stuff.
  4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

6 years with my current truck, transmission, yes, wheelbearings yes, ball joints...not yet
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had to replace ball joints yet. Of course I only keep my trucks for 3 to 4 years on average, before I sell them off, and look for a newer set-up.
  6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

constant PM on your truck and plow will keep you running all season long, sudden break downs are hard to plan for so keep the basic things on hand if you can, belts, hoses, fluid, ect, the part that beaks down is the one you don't have on hand. good luck.
  7. armyman12b

armyman12b Junior Member

i am new to plowing i admit, but ball joints every year does not sound right..... unless you live in alaska and are plowing all year then i could see it... Just dont sound right lol.. and tranny only if you beat the heck out of it...
  8. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

use the Search button it is your friend! Welcome to Plowsite!
  9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Not beating the crap out of your truck can help keep costs down.

Welcome to Plowsite. You'll find a ton of info here with the search button.
  10. oppi2010

oppi2010 Junior Member

thanks for all the information any more is appreciated
  11. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Or your driving a Dodge Ram, they eat ball joints for dinner until you get the grease able ones in it!
  12. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I should have clarified about the ball joints. I used to run through a set every 1 to 1.5 years but I just switched to Moog greasable joints. I hope to get a few years out of them.

My truck likes to eat ball joints. Crew cab, long bed, lariat, diesel. Running empty, I have 4,600 lbs on the front end.
  13. oppi2010

oppi2010 Junior Member

ford super duties really like to eat through ball joints
  14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Great info has been shared

You have read great info so far.

I would like to add that we offer a CD titled "Know why you charge what you charge" that calculates cost per hour of operation based on your company's overhead, expenses and use-rates. It is simple to use and runs in Microsoft Excel. You simply fill in the blanks and it calculates your break-even point. From that point, you can add any margin above and beyond cost to get to your selling price.

Check it out on our web site and call if you have any questions. Thanks.

The CD will work for any service you are offering..mowing, landscaping, fert. & weed, etc.
  15. WhiteOut1986

WhiteOut1986 Junior Member

Just take her easy.... Either way, your puting money into your truck or saving for a new one. Gas will be your biggest out of pockey expense upfront, then you have regular maintenance and all of that fun stuff to do on the weekends. Just keep a little extra cash on hand to deal with the maintenance and upkeep and you will never have a problem.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

if your ot beating on the truck and keep up on the maitenance you should be fine. you will still have to replace stuff but hopefully not as often