1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by raymond_anthony, Jun 30, 2010.

1. raymond_anthony

raymond_anthony Junior Member
    from 01001

I have a 2010 silverado 1500 and want to do some residential plowing this year and was wondering what i need besides the truck. Id love to find a list of parts needed if possible.
  2. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

well you need a plow, something for ballast in the rear. insurance, shovel maybe some salt, etc
  3. raymond_anthony

raymond_anthony Junior Member
    from 01001

I guess what I meant was parts of the plow. For example push plate etc. I would like to buy a used one if possible but want to make sure it will fit my vehicle.
  4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would start by going to western.com, boss's website, snow way's.i think they are all sponsors on top of the page. us the quick match and enter your truck information andit will give you the plows you can use on you truck, some even give you the ballast weight!
  5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I know you said your just doing residential, but you might want to look into a beacon light, and maybe some scene lighting for doing walks, and mayhe the back up buddy which is a lighting system for backing up, or you can just use some off road lights.

Oh you'll want like a wrench set, and maybe some ratchet straps, flash light, maybe some sand for when you get stuck in that ditch.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I do not recommend this for your 1500..

The websites will tell you that you need the smallest weakest pos the manufactures have to offer...

Basically..get a plow that weighs in at about 750 total pounds...don go any bigger. Then you can add about 750 pounds of ballast weight behind your rear axle against the tailgate.

I have a f150...it has a plow that weight in at 676 pounds..then I added 70 pounds of wings to it, and slapped some timbrens in the front.

The thing plows sweet man...of course not as sweet as my 250...but you get the point.

You need at least a 7'.6" plow to be wide enough for your truck when angled and turning.

Personally...I would get a sno-way, or a boss plow for your 1500...you can look at hiniker as well, because the are on the light side for plows...and there direct lift as well as the boss and snoway.

here is a link to a video I made along time ago of me beating the crap out of my 150 plowing...check it out, the vid has two HALF TONS plowing..lol. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVLNT3quIU
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ok that got boring real quick! Watching you stack snow pfff! You know what would have been more fun is to watch you push snow over the edge on that parking garage! :laughing:
    Giod video though! Wipes get real annoying, and that beacon can give you a real headache too!
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

there is a warning at the first part of the vid saying that the stacking can get old quick..:)

that was my first video ever..i made it like three years ago. :eek:
  9. PlowNoob91

PlowNoob91 Junior Member

I bought my plow used in an online auction. I had to bid in a few before I actually won one. I'd recommend finding a government auction site. The department of transportation normally has a few.

here is the link to the snow plow auction website where I bought mine.
  10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope yours had a picture and didnt but it blind.
  11. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

I plow with an 08 Silverado 1500. Western Pro plow 7.5ft. All manufacturers will try to sell a light duty plow for your truck. Don't buy one. They will not have the weight neede to scrape and the moldboards are about half as tall. The truck can handle the full size plow. You will need to install a 2.5 inch leveling kit to the front suspension. The kit I use is by Ready Lift. It is a spacer that installs between the front coil spring and the truck using the existing hardware. This lifts the front end so that you will have the clearance needed to clear curbs while stacking snow. The factory ride height is a bit low once the 750lb plow is hanging off the front. I also carry 600lbs , 12 50 lb sand bags up against the tailgate. The truck plows great.