1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Plowing! Would like to Buy Truck and dont know what to Buy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by thewonderful, Jul 24, 2013.

1. thewonderful

thewonderful Junior Member

Hello there
    im new to plowing and would like to start.
    if you guys were just starting out and you did residential and commercial what truck would you guys get and what plow with it would you get!
  2. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

find a good used 3/4 ton with a plow is probably the cheapest route...

I guess the real answer to your question is what is your price range?
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Need more details: Price range, etc. I'd start with residentials before launching yourself into commercial work. For residentials, a half ton regular cab short bed with a 7'6'' straight blade would be my ideal choice. Or a 3/4 RC/LB with a 7'6'' or 8' straight blade. I know some people are gonna argue and tell me V's are the ****, but I don't see the need for residentials.
  4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

What ever you do dont get less than a 8' blade for a full sized pick up , it sucks when tires paqck down your windrow.
  5. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

I will agree with that. I do lots of half circle and full circle residentials. I was a little concerned with size and getting in tight places with the 8ft. No need for the concern anymore :)
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would have to say what every one is saying .
    3/4 ton
    8' blade . I used to have diamond now I have a fisher everyone has there preferences as to what they like and has performed well for them.
    depending on what your finances are weather you buy or lease a new truck or find a good used one.
    also if your a 1 man show with no back up new might be better unless your a good wrenching on your truck.
  7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

ford f-550 with a fisher 9ft MC would be a good starter truck :drinkup:Thumbs Up
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Close,more like a 10ft Boss v plow.