1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Plowing, Wiring mess, Western Unimount 2002 Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by redbug2, Nov 23, 2011.

1. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

I picked up a used Western Unimount Plow that came off the same truck I have, a 2002 Dakota.

Wiring harness came in trash bag. I'm scratching my head on this one. Before I re-invent the wheel I thought I would post these questions.

Should the wiring harness plug into existing Dakota wiring harness or am I going to have to splice this thing in?

No solenoid provided, any recommendations?

My hope is that this is a plug in system and I don't have to splice.

Does this system turn my lights on automatically when I turn the plow on?

Any other wiring recommendations are welcome.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The harness should plug into the headlights of the new truck if the bulbs are the same but there is no garuntee. The same year / model truck may have several different bulbs. Look at the headlight bulbs, if the plugs are the same you are in luck, if not then you need a new harness.

I recommend buying a proper plow solenoid. Starter style relays will work if you know how to wire them but there are differences. Starter relays can have one small terminal and and internal ground. They can have two small terminals where one is an input and the other and output to the ignition system. A plow relay has two small terminals, one to activate the coil and the other is ground for the coil. Take my advice and buy a Western relay, they are about $12 here.

You do have to splice three wires into your truck. One for each signal (left and right) and a third for the marker light. Not difficult, just splice in a few inches back from the signal light bulb.

If you wire things right the truck headlights will turn off and the plow headlights will come on as soon as the plow is plugged in. The markers and signals are in parrallel so the truck and plow come on at the same time.

Recommendations: Download a schematice from the Western website and make sure you know what you are doing. The electrical is the most dangerous part of the installation. If you don't know what you are doing get help. Identify the plow you have so you can get the right instructions. Straight blade or V, Isarmatic or flowstat, two or three plugs. You will get lots of help on this site but you have to give details so we give you the right information. Post a photo of the plow if you don't know what it is and we will tell you.
  3. frmboybuck

frmboybuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

I recently moved my meyer plow from my beater 87 Ranger to my new beater 2000 Dakota Quad cab. I looked for adapters so i could plug and play but couldnt find what I needed. I had to splice into my turn signals but thats all. Here is how I did it......http://www.smithbrothersservices.com/sealed-beam-plow-light-wiring.html
    Worked like a charm. I also split the marker light wire and put it on terminal 87a....it feeds it whenever the headlights are turned on. When the plow is on, I just run my marker lights only on my truck
  4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would suggest getting new relay blocks to replace the ones that came with it. To me its kinda like changing the oil but leaving the old oil filter on.

I would also suggest using a Boss solenoid. Had 2 westerns melt down to a plastic block.....switched to a Boss and never had a problem. Don't be afraid to coat everything in dielectric grease. Napa sells a good size squeeze tube.

But yeah....you can get a install guide off of Western's publication library.