1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing stupid question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by boblamp, Dec 22, 2011.

1. boblamp

boblamp Junior Member
    from 15329

Ok, this is my first plow and spreader. Picked up a Western Pro plow (7'6") and SnowEx 1575 two stage spreader for my 2000 F150 7700 4x4. I bought these to plow a couple gravel driveways. Total distance might be a mile to a mile and a half.

i've been plowing the driveways with my open station farm tractor and a 7' back blade. The days of plowing the driveway and ending up looking like the Abominal @%#&$@ Snowman are done. I'm going to be plowing in a heated cab from now on.:D

So stupid question for all you experienced 4x4 plowers. Reading through the Western manual it states that you should not exceed 10 mph when plowing. We all know that nobody exceeds 10 mph when plowing :laughing:. So here is the stupid question........ When plowing, do you run in 4 hi or 4 lo?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

4 hi
    Except when pushing piles I'll use 4 lo

3. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

2nd to 3rd gear. 4hi.
    The 10mph warning is bs. Some of my lots that have long runs I plow at 15 mph or so.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you are plowing gravel you might want to read some of the articles about edge guards so you don't dig up the driveway

5. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

pretty sure they also say not to exceed 40mph during transport.....

6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've not bothered with 4 low for about 15 years. I always plow in 4 high.

7. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Try a sod pipe on your blade for those driveways. Search the site, there's some decent dialog and some pics around. Cheap and easy, save the headaches of gravel.

8. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

get some shoes for gravel drives and shim them so that the blade isnt actually on the ground

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I rarely use 4wd at all. Plow mostly in 2wd, but occasionally have to put it in 4wd high (never low) to plow or get unstuck.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

High/Low range is really a matterof preference, and equipment options. The heavier the truck, the more traction it has, power/torque of the engine, final drive ratio and tire size all come into play.

With my 2004 Cummins, I could almost get away with plowing in 2wd with a pallet of salt in the bed and a 7.5' Western. After some modifications and the Blizzard 810, I needed to be in 4wd most of the time unless I wanted to break the rear tires loose. Different snow consistency and ambient temperatures also play a role in traction.

Plowing our 3'+ drifts last February, I spent most of the time in Low range. I felt a lot like a Caterpillar D2 rattling along.

11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You gotta try both hi and low to see which will work best for you, and what your plowing. Johny U used a lot of good points. You may find that you can do one in 2WD while you will need 4-low for the other. You allready have the experience in plowing, you just need to get used to the 4WD. Have fun and stay warm.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do not salt gravel!

13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i push in 2 wheel with the front hubs locked. if i need 4 wheel, i will pop the t-case in 4 high. once moving again it is back to 2 wheel.

99.9% of the time i am in 2 wheel.

14. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I have heard 40mph for transport and 15 for plowing, apparently some airbags can deploy if you stop to suddenly at 14mph, its stupid, but whatever.

15. tonylillo

tonylillo Senior Member

wow lets take this further, has anyone had an airbag deploy on them while plowing. I never thought about that issue.

Tony

16. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Wow! I wonder what it takes to make this happen? The sensors are in the front bumper and it is my understanding that an impact has to occur at a speed greater than maybe 12MPH or so? To set the airbag(s) off, you would have to push the plow mount back into the bumper with enough force to make the switches have contact and blow the gunpowder charges in the steering column?

Now, I have seen some CRAZY guys running plows before, but even if you hit a curb while moving forward at a really good clip, I would think the plow's A arm would crumble up and fold UNDER the truck while the plow/truck frame and body itself would lift up and everything would just fold underneath? But then again, what do I know, Lol :confused: :dizzy:

On another note, I guess that some plows have a mounting system that attaches to the bumper? If so, I guess it really wouldn't take much to give you a face full of airbag? The Meyer EZ mounts made me think of this? As I said before, "What do I know"?:eek:

It does appear that if your plow and truck combo weigh a lot more than the object you collide with, the object you hit is going to have a really bad day! In the pic I posted, it looks like next to nothing happened to the plow OR truck?

plow wreck.jpg

17. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I have never heard of the airbag going off due to having a plow on the front, especially when just traveling, BUT that doesn't mean it can't happen. I've hit some things pretty hard allready with a truck equiped with an air bag and never had a problem ( YET )............

18. RoesLandscaping

RoesLandscaping Junior Member

I unplug my airbag sensor every winter just in case the trip springs jar the front of the truck. Back to the main question, in a ford f150 IMO i would never use 4wd High, it will blow your engine at about 10-15mph pushing a lot of snow. I would use 4wd low and some ballasts

19. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've never had a problem with airbags deploying nor have I heard of anyone having that problem.

I'd be pretty pissed if it did though!

20. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

A truck at my work has Onstar and everytime the driver hit a snowpile the onstar people called and asked if there had beem an accident.