1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing salt?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pushingsnow, Dec 15, 2011.

1. pushingsnow

pushingsnow Member

ok so im new to plowing this year i have an 05 f250 superduty got it from munciple auction it is 2wd i have a western plow but i need to fix it and get it on my truck so that might not happen this year i got a snowbear plow cheap it only goes up and down dont turn side to side without getting out of the truck i plan to just plow with it straight unless i have to turn it i dont know if i want to put a salt shaker on the truck and rust it out im thinking about a walk behind how would it work put in some comments for me help me message text or call 815 822 1247

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry I don't think you are preperred for plowing this year. Truck will be good as a salt truck only.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd take the truck and sell it for a 4x4, there are guys that say they plow in 2wd with ballast and never put the truck in 4wd I call BS. I'm not saying you can't use a 2wd to plow but what happens when you push just a little further and the front tires drop off the parking lot into the grass:realmad:

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Hogwash, 2wd plowing works just fine, just ask this guy...
    http://youtu.be/cwiKPiNCdq8

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You might be OK plowing salt with that rig, but it ain't going to work for snow.

6. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

I have a 4x4 f250 with 1500+ pounds in the back. Most of the time 2wd can handle it fine, but there has been several occasions where I needed a 4x4. Like the previous posters said, get the 4x4 or don't plow at all.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I see Fords in your avitar :p Don't be so modest you can admit it was you

8. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've plowed in 2WD when I've had an issue with my front end--of course this was years ago when I was running junk, but even with 1000+ lbs of salt sand in the box it sucked. If you have anything that isn't close to level, good luck. I have a few lots with steep entrances that I wouldn't even attempt to plow without 4WD.

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

2wd is ok if you have dual rear wheels and you are plowing with other trucks. Roads, or parking lots with a loader or other trucks to pull you out if you get hung up. I wouldn't use it as a primary plow truck though and definitely not for driveways.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Think about what you just said.

DRW and a lot of weight, just ponder it for awhile.

13. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

17. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

MY point was this:

If you have a 2WD dually pickup (dump body, contractor body, whatever) with or without ballast, it's exerting a given amount of PSI to the drive wheels, no?

Take a 2WD SRW pickup with the SAME weight in the back, and it will exert a higher PSI than the dually.

PSI translates into traction, which is why you put weight in the back in the first place. Higher PSI=more traction. A dually will require more weight than a SRW pickup provided that other variables such as tire width, type, etc. are held constant. It's simple physics. But keep joking, I know it's easier to make fun of things you don't understand.

18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't understand, do you?

A DRW truck can haul more weight than a SRW, so you can get that PSI thingy you're referring to.

19. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

:laughing:

20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

And split the weight over twice as much surface area.