1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing...please help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by firebug130, Feb 7, 2006.

1. firebug130

firebug130 Member

I am new to the snow plowing world! I run a small lawn service and have about 10 small parking lots to plow and salt. I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma Ext cab 4x4 v6 TRD. I am having alot of trouble finding a small plow for this application. I can not afford to spend 4-5k on a new set up. I have been looking on ebay and such for a complete unit, however I know that I would have to find a mounting bracket for my truck. THis is my problem. I have contacted several dealers about this and I can only find one that will sell me a new unit, again , out of my price range at about 5k. I am not loyal to any company , I just want to be able to find a used set up , buy it and know that I can purchase a new mounting bracket afterwards. We don't get alot of snow in ky , but I would like to be prepared. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Try posting this under the small truck section! Tons of guys with experiance in smaller trucks--ie Toyota --may lead you in the right direction. Did you check the for sale section of this forum?
  3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you might be better off to look for an older truck with a plow already on it.you can find a mid 80's ford or chevy with a plow for around 1500 or a mid 90's for about 2500-3000.
  4. firebug130

firebug130 Member

I will post this in small truck and check out for sale , thank you.
  5. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Try the junkyard.Beleve it or not sometimes there is some solid, reliable items there.you have to let me know if any luck.No gaurentees, but worth a try.
  6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

also what have you been doing winter is half over.
  7. firebug130

firebug130 Member

I know , but i just aquired these lots and right know i'm subbing out to a friend with a ranger and meyer plow, can't let the fords show me up!!!
  8. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Try looking at Blizzard plows. I know they have some that will fit your truck. I only paid $3200 for my 7'6" for my Ram.
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep checking ebay and other online sources, also keep an eye on local classifieds. Although a fair amount of people plow with Toyotas, there are still alot less of them out there with plows when compared to other trucks. Thats not to say they are not good plow trucks because they are.

I think you will have a hard time finding the proper mount for your truck used. I think the best chance of finding a used mount lies with Fisher, Western or Meyer. What dealers have you contacted, what brand?

You should not be paying $5K for a new plow, the dealer has to go up on his prices because he cant sell as many plows in an area that gets less snow. It is worth traveling if you can find someone cheaper (as long as its not too far).

I have no magic answer for you on how to find the right mount used, wish I did. I know its frusterating, I have gone through the process of trying to find used plows before and ended up breaking down and buying new, but not for 5K, more like $3,600. The problem is you find the right plow but it has the wrong wiring and the wrong mount, then you find that its expensive to get the proper wiring (light modules, etc) and the proper mount. Then you go to use the plow and it craps out during the first storm. Now iam not saying thats going to happen but its more likely to happen to a used plow.

If you can find a used plow great, but if this is your business and primary source of income, you need to weigh the costs vs potential benefits. If you get little snow, do you really need to be plowing snow or is it ok to continue subbing it out like you are now? If you really want to plow for yourself, I can understand that but if this is your business, it may be worth the investment to buy something reliable. I would not say go out and spend 5K on any plow. Set a price range, I dont know what it is now but you may want to start looking 2k-3K. Iam not trying to tell you new is the only way to go, just that you need to understand what your getting yourself into and make sure you have a back up plan.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  10. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

just out of curiosity, what manufacturer was it that you found a mount for?
  11. firebug130

firebug130 Member

Thanks for your help. I have found a nice set up from sno way and blizzard. Leaning toward blizzard however. Now, just hope for some snow to p[ay it off!
  12. chazg33

chazg33 Member

firebug ,storks automotive in bernville pa,will have your setup,he stocks plow frames for older trucks,and hard to find units, they have a web site,and is a dealer for blizzard and meyers etc,,hope that will help.
  13. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

blizzard is good...also check out snoway
  14. Hercules130

Hercules130 Junior Member

Your snow prayers may be answered toninght!
  15. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

If your area has a classified magazine or newspaper that caters to other items for sale, I would check that out! I have seen a lot of plow blades, misc pumps frames and stuff in there and most of it is pretty resonable! I would also keep checking ebay, you'll find a deal sooner or later! With this winter almost over, you may just want to wait till next winter this way you may be able to find a deal or 2 over the summer! Keep us posted! Good Luck!!:)