1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing, outfitting my truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by silentsnake09, Apr 17, 2011.

1. silentsnake09

silentsnake09 Junior Member

Me and my dad own a construction company. We have been in the construction industry for 35 years now and I been working for him 10 years now. I want to get into plowing next season. I just want to start small and see how it goes. I need some info on what to outfit my truck with.

What I know:
    • Boss 8' V Plow
    • Snow Ex Tailgate Sander
    • Back up warning beep
    • warning light

Questions:
    • Because of rack I need a low profile light bar. Any suggestions? I got 5" clearance so nothing on the rack hits it.
    • What time of year show I go in to buy the plow?

If I am missing anything or if anyone has some suggestions on what to get that would be great.

Here is the rig so far.

2005 F350 Reading Utility Bed

[​IMG]

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your choice of truck and plow are good, because of that everything else will fall into place!

3. CHasselberger

CHasselberger Member

Get a Whelen Responder LP mini light bar. They are great and Sirennet.com has them in Amber for 220.00$. 17" L x 6 5/16" W x 2 7/8" H is the size of it.

4. silentsnake09

thanks, thats what I was looking for.

5. silentsnake09

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

those lights are junk....dont waste a 160.00 on those

7. silentsnake09

make a recommendation then? whats good

8. CHasselberger

CHasselberger Member

try back-up buddy. they have a thread on here

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

10. silentsnake09

yeah I am going to wire into my uplifters and use a relay and tap into reverse lamps also. So when I turn uplifter on they will only turn on in reverse.

I was also looking at these. Getting two of them one for each corner of under bumper

SoundOff PAR 36 LED 500 Lumen Flood Light
    http://www.sirennet.com/soewla0500dbdf0w.html

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I just have them cheap fog lights from Wal*Mart and they work great. I mounted them on my head ache rack. They are very brite and the light gos back a long ways.

12. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I wouldnt tap into your reverse. There may be times where you need to have the lights on to fix something, hook up a trailer or shine on something and get out of the truck. Its easier to not have them wired into reverse and works better. Might want to run it to a keyed source so you dont forget to turn them off but thats all. Looks good.

13. silentsnake09

ok but what about plowing in the dark? I would have to flip the switch each time I go in reverse?

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have my back up lites on a switch. I just leave them on all the time when I'm plowing in the dark. I have the switch with the red lite so when I never forget to shut them off when I drive down the road.

15. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Heres a wiring diagram that might be helpful in wiring Aux reverse lights. The set up allows for three settings. On, Off and on when in reverse.

Not my diagram. It was in another post, in the truck equipment repair forum.

LightingDiagramMedium.jpg

16. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

I highly suggest not putting the reverse lights under your bumper. You will be very disappointed the first time to back into a snow bank. Trust me, I thought it was a good idea my first time too. I would suggest mounting them to your ladder racks, utilizing the channels inside the rear uprights. That should keep them out of the way and provide plenty of light.

17. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Not if you left it on.

Buy a plow in October

if you're doing residentials don't buy a back up alarm.

Sho me has some nice mini light bars.

18. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Since you already have the proper truck for it- you should be a mobile repair unit. Then you dont have to deal with contracts.

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get the soundoffs. I have 2 1400s on my back rack and 2 500s on my salter that come on in reverse through the seven pin. The 500s are plenty bright, but I went a little overkill with the 1400s but they help out alot. Plus they come with a 3 year warranty which is great.

20. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

why dont you just get strobes and do your headlights and then get some amber led strobes for your utility body? dosent some company make a strobe kit for cab lights now?