1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing, need some advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dunbar15, Mar 21, 2007.

1. dunbar15

dunbar15 Junior Member

Hello All,

I have a 2000 F350 CREW CAB SHORT BED SINGLE REAR WHEELS WITH THE 7.3 PSD.. I just put a deposit on a 8 ft fisher minute mount 2, the sticker in my door says
    FGVWR of 4800lbs , I'm told by the fisher dealer that they wont install it on my truck because my truck isnt approved for a plow that heavy due to the heavy diesel engine,
    if you go to the fisher site they only call for a V10 in that year, in 05 they changed the front suspension and its OK to put a plow on those. The previous owner had it on a 99
    with the same motor , extended cab, He told me he put a ADD A LEAF, in the front,
    Do I need to do this ?? I'm only going to use this to do my 300Ft driveway.. What should I look for when the blade is up ?? How much dip in the front is OK ?? The dealer did recommend a garage down the street that will install it.. The guy that is installing it said not to worry about it, that he puts those plows on those trucks all the time..

Any replies would be greatly appreciated
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put the plow on and don't worry. The truck will carry it just fine. The dealer is just going by what is suggested, not by what will really work in real life. He has to because of a possible lawsuit.
  3. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

Hey I use a 7.5ft Curtis Snow Pro 3000 on my 03 F150 Supercrew.....you should be ok...LOL!!!!
  4. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

new to plowing Need some Advice

I dono? sems like all the New 4X4 Trucks don*t want to Garrantee any thing? Put a Plow on IT & PLow away! & with a 300 ft driveway any Foreseeable Problems? should show UP? in Your Plowing that Long driveway! Best of LUCK to YA!--OleTower--
  5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Put the add a leaf on and you won''t regret it-- I have a 2 1/2 leveling kit(skyjacker) on mine Y2K 350s/c 8' bed! The wieght of the engine over the front axle is why the dealer wants you to do this! With the upgrade you won't even notice the blades on there! Good luck! Oooh and there is no dip when I raise the blade!
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you don't have plow prep on the diesel you HAVE to change the clutch fan for the cooling system if you put a plow on it.

KINNCO Senior Member

look at your vin # If it has an X at the beginning somewhere it has 6000# springs
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

weighty thought

generally and ford superduty needs a 5200lb front gross Axel weight capacity,if not add the extra leaf or install timbren load boosters they both will do the job just fine!
  9. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Trow another leaf in the front and you'll be fine.