1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing, need help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by plowandski, Feb 7, 2011.

1. plowandski

plowandski Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to plowing and need help. I just got a 7'6'' Western Standard Uni-Mount plow. I've got the frame mounted to the truck already but have no wiring. I need to know everything that I need to get this up and running. I've heard you can just wire the plow and not even hook up the lights, is that possible? Bad idea, or will i run into problems? I'm just looking to get it set up for the rest of the winter and over the summer will get the lights wired up. A list of part numbers would be very helpful. Also if anyone is local and would like to make some money installing, I'm open to that. The plow is wired with 2 plugs but I have nothing on the truckside other than the mount.

Truck: 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 (HB3/HB4)
    Plow: 7'6'' Western Standard Uni-Mount, 2 plugs on plow side (12-pin and the other is 2 bigger pins)

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Sounds like you have the wiring harness. Do you have a controller?

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

better off to get the complete truckside wiring harness with the headlight adapters and controller

4. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I agree with Hydro...just get it all at once. I would hate not having the lights. Ill try to find a part list on the WWW for ya

5. plowandski

plowandski Member

thanks for all the responses guys... i do not have any wiring on the truckside, no harnesses, no joystick, how much am i looking at spending? thanks for the input on the lights, sounds like i really should get those wired up... i believe i need he wiring kit 64077... does that sound right? is that all i need? (plus a controller)

6. plowandski

plowandski Member

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the input... I've decided to go with your suggestions and get the lights wired in. My question now is do I have all the correct parts before I place the order. I've got someone to install it fortunately. I'm ordering the harness kit 64077 and the Western Truck Side Power Kit. I will be searching for a used controller while I wait for this stuff to be delivered. The plow already has the 12-pin, it came off the same yr/make/model truck. I guess my question is... is this all I need to order? Do I need any other wiring or harnesses or anything else to get this plow going?
    Also, do I need a certain controller? Thanks in advance.

7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I would go to or call your local western dealer they will be able to get you a parts list. Also as far as controller I would go with a touch bad instead of the joystick kind ad they are hand held and easier to run imo. I dont have western but that is my suggestion. Or the guy installing it may know what you need.

8. plowandski

plowandski Member

9. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

just call a western dealer