1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing - How should I plow this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by butters, Nov 22, 2004.

1. butters

butters Member

Not sure which side to put the snow on. This is a ~16 ft road and we average 150" of snow each year with a lot of NW flow winds off Lake Michigan. I will be responsible for plowing the 1000' road and the 2 drives.
    [​IMG]

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You really want to keep snow piles down wind whenever possible if blowing and drifiting snow is a issue, you did not put compass directions on maps to to really make any more suggestions though

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No not a compass but he did show with arrows, the wind direction. I would try to windrow all the snow to the side with the drives on it. I know it is a pain as you will have to open up the drives after you plow them in, but that will minimize drifting. If drifting is a big problem, have you considered a snow fense?

4. Tarkus

That what I suggested based on wind arrows but I would like to know if it is a northwind or west wind he has drawn out.

5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah ,I'm with cja1987

Put it on the side with your house on it, that way your touch ups won't be such a PITA.

6. butters

butters Member

OK. I was a little off on the wind direction. I changed the arrow to Point in proper direction for northwest flow. So if you refresh your browser window it should show the correct NW wind direction. I don't know what I was thinking when I made the first map.
    As for a snowfence, it would be pretty expensive and I only own 330 feet along the road so the other property owners may not like that to well.

7. Tarkus

Okay my suggestion is to plow the snow to south side of road and on your drive way plow it to the east side of driveway. If you stack any snow on the north side of road you could have a real mess on your hands if a lot of blowing and drifting sets in On you future site stack snow on east side of drive too.

8. butters

butters Member

Thanks for all the info. It does make sense to put it on the South side, but it never hurts to ask. I think I will have my work cut out for me this winter being this is my first time plowing, but I think I will be ok once I get the hang of it. I am planning on getting a Blizzard 760LT for my 89 1/2 ton Chevy in a week or so. Snow will be here soon! Thanks again.

9. Tarkus

Good luck and not to dampen your spirits but if it is a uniproved road/lane (gravel and rock) a plow with a trip edge will work a lot better for you. All fisher plows come with them and some Western, Meyer/Diamond and Boss models do to. Just the edge trips on big rocks and not the whole plow dumps. If it is a smooth paved road than a non trip edge plow will work fine too. Also since your are new to this the big three, Fisher, Western and Meyers plow have 2 year warranties on their plows, Boss and Blizzard do not which is something to consider and you know it will be repaired (if needed) for atleast two winter and not just one for what it is worth.

10. butters

butters Member

I really wanted to go with a Western at first and I certainly would consider other brands, but the Blizzard 760LT is light and the least expensive new plow I can find ($2718.90 out the door installed). Does Fisher make anything light and inexpensive? Also, my road is gravel, but no big rocks that I have seen. Not that there aren't any there, but I haven't seen any yet and I drive up and down it every day. Would it tear up the road more with a full trip plow cause it's gravel or are you thinking that I might cause more damage to the plow? As for the warranty, that doesn't worry me too much since this should be somewhat light duty plowing (not commercial) and most of the bugs should be worked out the first season I would think.