1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing genereal questions, HELP!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JupstateNY, Nov 19, 2015.

1. JupstateNY

JupstateNY Junior Member

Hi I'm 16 and my names James from upstate NY and I don't have my license yet.. My road test is in the beginning of December but I found this site and thought I'd ask a few questions to the pros. I have a 2000 silverado 1500 I bought in really great shape (can attach pics) and I have been looking into plowing for awhile just for the interest in making alittle more money. I know you cannot just jump right in and become rich but maybe doing my driveway and a few neighbors and slowly gaining experience would work, I'm not sure that's why im on here. I've been told it's much different and a lot harder to drive with a plow and it's hard to plow in general. I found a full set up fisher 7.5 for sale w/o pushplates or a controller BUT i already have pushplates for my truck (fisher: https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5276135928.html ) He was going to sell me for $300 because he just wants it gone its fully working up to when he last used it, last year HE SAYS. so Im wondering how much insurance do I need to plow very little residentially and how much risk is there? Of course hitting a house or car or mailbox or lightpole is serious but how much insurance is legal I am wondering. I'm also wondering if this is just a total 100% bad idea to start plowing so young. I am NOT looking to make $1000s just gain experience and make alittle $. I know plowing with a 1/2 ton is not recommended but I read its the way you plow that matters and to be very cautious and not push more than I should. Thanks for reading

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

You may not be able to get insurance due to your age to cover you working commercially in plowing (plowing for money). You would be better off finding a company to work for as a shoveler or something to learn the ropes.

3. JupstateNY

JupstateNY Junior Member

True maybe I should do that :nod:

4. JupstateNY

JupstateNY Junior Member

Would you recommend to ALWAYS be plowing with insurance or if I am only plowing a few houses to not bother. I was to not bother if I stay pretty small but obviously that's illegal.. What is your opinion?

5. jhall22guitar

Always have insurance. ALWAYS.

6. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Yup.:nod::nod:

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your NOT going to have insurance, use a snowblower instead. Or a shovel.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I do read th un that thar interdweeb

Some wears.

"First of all, if you buy your own snow plow, you may want to increase your auto insurance coverage to ensure that if something happens your plow will be insured along with your truck.

Some individuals own their own plow but only plow their own drive ways. This is fine and you will probably not need additional coverage. Once you begin to plow the driveways of others is when snow plow insurance might be necessary. You may just want to be neighborly and plow someone's driveway for them. This is ok, because if something were to happen (you knocked over a mailbox, bumped into the house, etc...) your homeowners policy will actually extend to cover that.

But there is one small detail which will exclude your homeowners insurance from covering it... Money. If you accept payment for plowing another's driveway, you better have snow plow insurance for your truck. There are huge liabilities that are associated with snow plowing. One small example is if you leave a snow pile, it melts some, the runoff turns to ice on the sidewalk, and someone slips and sues. You would be at fault."

9. JupstateNY

JupstateNY Junior Member

Ok thanks guys I think I'm going to use a blower for now. What do you guys think is a fair price and is a regular blower I have at my house I've been using fine?

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Ok,
    Snow-blowing for $.
    Does the type of equipment used change the liability exposure ?

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The quick answer is no. However the kid that's walking up and down the street with a snowblower knocking on every house, how many neighbors ask if he's got insurance?

12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

try and get on some one call list for sidewalk shoveling and learn

13. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

as much as you can afford. auto vs ped death is around 1mil here don't know bout your place

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

your only 16, hang out at bars and have fun now because you'll be working the rest of your life.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It doesn't matter if they ask or not & it's not about protecting the home owner
    It's about CYA.
    As with a plow he has crossed the line from good samarieaten when working for money.
    As when the snow he blew melts and refreezes or cause slippery steeps.

Just becuse he is a minor doesn't mean his pearants can't be held responsible ...

The day of lemonade stands is prity much gone....

Hisar ends can get a policy so when that old lady falls and breaks her hip your not on the hook for mucho$$$'j

What could happen....:dizzy:

16. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I'm not sure if insurance would be required because I've never dealt with it, but maybe you could buy an atv with a plow to use and then when you're old enough you can use your truck. Again I have no experience as to atvs but someone will chime in on that

17. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

If you are plowing with a truck or atv and are billing for that service you are a commercial operator. Commercial operations are required to be insured and in some cities licensed as well. You are also required to report the income. Even as a young operator why would you risk not being insured? Welcome to our world. Keep asking questions and learning from those around you.

18. jhall22guitar

This would be a concern and I agree (if it was my kid). Sadly America is "sue happy" and people will go after kids, which then leads to the parents since the child is underage.

I have worked with a kid who won stupid amounts of money after he got hurt playing with a friend. Because his parents sued his friend/friends parents. Who does that?!

If it were me, I would do as a few of us have said and work for another company. You will still make money, you will learn, and you could advance as you get older.

19. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

When I started, I asked my ins. man about dropping the plow coverage May-Oct. he told me the plow frame (truck side mount) would have to be removed. If you have a plow on your truck even for your own driveway, you better make sure you have upped your ins. to cover driving around with a 500# can opener on your truck.

20. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

It's ridiculous. Screws us and kids who actually have the ethics and a work motive like it seems that jupstate has. There's so many kids that could care less about trying to work hard but the ones who do don't have a chance this young