1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Plowing & Forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RedOakLawn, Oct 21, 2013.

1. RedOakLawn

RedOakLawn Junior Member

Hi All,
    I just wanted to introduce myself as a plowing novice with a lot to learn! I started running my landscape company full time this year, and decided to purchase a plow to keep the company active through the winter months. I went with a Boss 7' 6" Standard.
    Now my downfall coming into the game here, and be gentle on me, is that the plow is going on a half ton. Yes, onto my 2008 F150 STX 4x4. Unfortunately when I bought the truck, I did not think I would want to start a landscape company out of high school! Having known better I would have went with the 3/4 ton, but 2 years down the road I am and it's done its work for me. This was my lawn care companies first full year and business, and I'm hoping to have a nice winter as well.
    Here's my rundown;
    1) I have plowed before. Before I started the landscape company I plowed for an apartment company I worked at. Used a F250 with a Boss 8'2" V. No expert, but I am familiar with the technique, as well as calculating the salt for large properties.
    2) I am a full LLC, and also insured. Snow plowing was also added.
    3) As for the truck. It just had a new transmission 5,000 miles ago, and currently has 69,XXX. It is getting a leveling kit, as well as airbags in the front. I also just installed a second battery. Trying to prepare it as best as possible.
    4) I'm not looking to take on the world with it. I'm just offering to all of my LC customers who have asked for it, and any other residential I may get.
    5) I'm 19 myself with a lot to learn, and I'm hoping this forum and everyone can guide me the right way while I take on this (what can be very profitable when done right) business venture while my company grows.

Thanks for reading!

2. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

welcome

half ton plenty of truck for residential work. Add an external transmission cooler to protect your new trans. Cheap upgrade. Good all terrain tires. Warning lights. Price it out right the first year so you don't regret it the following years. Lots of driveway stakes to mark stuff you don't want to fix in spring. Thats just off the top of my head.

3. RedOakLawn

RedOakLawn Junior Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I just put new all terrain tires on 10,000 miles ago. I have a low pro warning light I'm going to wire in and I'm looking into strobes as well. As for pricing I've been consulting with a friend who has been running his company for 10 years, and he's been a great help. I also just ordered stakes today! Last thing I want to be doing is fixing sprinkler heads when I'm starting them up in the spring! Haha The transmission cooler I had not thought of so I'll have to look into that.

4. road2damascus

5. RedOakLawn

RedOakLawn Junior Member

Found the one for my truck, looks to be simple enough. Have you noticed significant benefits as far as op temp while plowing?

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

RedOak, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a great plan working for ya already. Road2 is a residential beast. Lots of sound advice from him for sure.

Only thing I would add is to not get too crazy adding accounts in the first year. Start small and deliver TOP notch service. Also, have a contingency plan if something happens to you or the truck. Your clients don't wanna hear excuses. They want service. Find someone reliable who will back you up should you need them. (The other reason for starting small that first year)

7. RedOakLawn

RedOakLawn Junior Member

Thanks Sawboy. That kind of advice is the exact reason why I joined up here.

As far as accounts go, I'm definitely going crazy. It's looking like I'll have between 20-25 accts this winter, all relatively close, nothing bigger than a 2 car driveway. I'm definitely ready to be ready 24/7. I also have someone who can back me up, my friend's company earlier.

8. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Hey man good to see you on here! Sounds like you've got a good start on things. I wanted to do all driveways when I first started, tried to shy away from that and now do about 90% commercial. But I'll have the half ton this year doing driveways when its not helping me on a lot. I just enjoy lots because they're much easier to get my truck around in! Anyhow, good luck this winter. Always welcome to hit me up if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing some pics of that new setup!

9. MI Green

MI Green Member

thats size of plow won't be bad on a 1/2 ton. If you have suspension issues I would suggest moog brand parts if you have issues. I know ford 1/2 front ends are built better than the other 2 companies.

10. RedOakLawn

RedOakLawn Junior Member

Definitely meant to say NOT going crazy in the above post!
    Thanks man I appreciate it! Yeah I figured since I'm starting to get my feet wet with this I better get on here. Honestly my main goal in the future will be commercial orientated, with the resi accts kept up to keep the contract lawn customers happy. But right now frankly I'm happy to have a good option to make some money this winter! The minute the plow goes on I'll be sure to get some pics up!

I really didn't think so. I mean don't get me wrong they wear on any truck, but after looking into my weight ratings and the plow itself, as well as others that have ran even heavier setups, I have faith in the truck. And like you said, I also have faith in that Ford suspension! As for parts I'll definitely have to check them out.

11. road2damascus

I don't have a temp gauge but...my first year plowing, during 8 hours of plowing, I smelt and saw trans fluid charred on dipstick. This vehicle had a brand new radiator with a trans cooler running through it as most vehicles do now a days. It was not enough. I added a external trans cooler and have never had that issue again nor have I had transmission problems.

12. MI Green

MI Green Member

I know a guy who ran a 10ft blizzard powerplow on his 1/2 ton ford. That was to much.......

13. RedOakLawn

RedOakLawn Junior Member

Now that is just insane. Only two times the width of the truck haha