1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing for myselfe

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SnowMan87, Oct 20, 2010.

1. SnowMan87

SnowMan87 Junior Member

hey guys im starting to plow for my own business and this is the first year. im charging 160 contracts for the season unlimited trips for every 3inch or more..do you guys put in your contracts of gas were to go up that additional 25.00 would be added on to the contract or no? thanks again cant wait till the snow starts to fall:bluebounc
  2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

So it seams as though you are only asking about the fuel surcharge for your contracts, if that's the case for me no I don't charge a fuel surcharge on my contracts. I feel if you have your numbers right a small increase in fuel is part of the game.

I would suggest you search the site for a while there is a ton of info here that is very useful to newbies and veterans alike.

But here are some things you may want to consider, 160 to me sounds very low, in an good average year I go out 15 or so times to plow at a 2 inch trigger, in my area that would mean you are charging 10.66 per outage. Maybe some of the guys closer to you will post later on your areas average snowfall rate and how many times they go out in a season but it seams incredibly low for a seasonal contract price. Does that even cover your insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc.
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I think you're way under priced. I'd say by almost half. When I was doing driveways my contracts started at $300 and went up for larger drives. Remember how much snow you get. I know in Buffalo I can make 3 trips a day for a week or two.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$160 sounds way too low and no we dont have a fuel surcharge either
  5. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

You are pricing yourself way to low, the cheapest I've seen unlimited is 250.00, I had two flyers show up on my mail box and they were 230.00-240.00 for 16trips, Your worth more money than that....it will be hard for you to make a profit at 160.00 join SIMA it's worth it joining will help give you the tools to make more money. http://www.sima.org/index.cfm use my name when you sign up and save $50.00. If you need any help let me know I'm in Webster.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  6. SnowMan87

SnowMan87 Junior Member

i live in greece like i said its my first year doing it but im going to join sima ive been looking into that