1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Trailblazer02, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Trailblazer02

Trailblazer02 Junior Member

hey im getting a homesteader on my trailblazer and i am gonna do driveways and small lots but mostly driveways. how do i go about doing it. do i need special insurance? and how do i write out contracts? im not really making a business just a few extra bucks!!!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats a business, If you charge its a business if you have a contract its a business. You need insurance. in mass if you are ONLY plowing driveways you can get a special rider on you truck insurance for cheep. If you do Lots then you need commercial insurance. Talk to your insurance person they should know. The homesteder is a pretty light weight plow for doing lots.

I think

3. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

Agreed. It is a business. You MUST have insurance. People will not even let me on their lot without me showing a copy of it. No offense, but that plow is not going to be able to do much, but I guess you have to start somewhere. Do not treat it like "IM JUST TRYING TO MAKE A FEW BUCKS!" It will not work. DO not lowball and do a good job. Be legit! Seriously think about it.

4. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

Forgot to add, how old are you?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Profile says 22. Old enough.

6. gureck233

gureck233 Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to bid on plowing accounts?

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Some bill by the push some by season some by the storm, Dont work for free, price varies from area to area I'm in an up scale neighborhood, price can be from $25 to $60 DEPENDS.

8. Trailblazer02

im taking it seriously but it would only be like 10 driveways a storm and i said maybe small lots like very small lots like a dunkin donuts or my works lot nothin big thats why i said just a few bucks ya know!!!! i know its a small plow and i wouldnt beat it up.but thanks for answering

9. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Dude, any lightweight plow is gonna get beat up more than any commercial weight plow.

The Homesteader and Suburbanite's are supposedly good little plows (never used one myself), but I'm sure 10 driveways and a small lot or two would take a toll out of that plow, not to mention your truck.

Not saying anything against it. Around here, I charge people $20-$50 depending on the size of their driveway, and I'm using a shovel and snowblower.

10. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Keep in mind the smaller the plow the harder it will be on your truck. IE I can do an average drivway in 15 min, 20 if you include shoveling vs 30 min with a smaller plow. Also I can do it less pushes than a smaller plow - less fwd and reverse, less wear and tear. I am refering to a standard 2 car drivway. I have a Boss 7'6" . Yes I spent $4300 on it but thats brand new there are used ones out there for alot less and the longterm advantages pay off. Also consider, you may only have 10 drives now but you may want to take on more later. lol if your like many of us here you WILL take on more. You will be able to do a better job and a job faster with a full size plow. Consider this as well. Say a storm hits 4-6inches and its taking you longer than normal to plow because of haveing a small plow. You will have customers calling wondering where you are and why they cant get out to go to work. thats a good way to lose customers. Im not trying to discourage you rather I am trying to point out that if you are going to buy a plow simply to make some extra money than you need to consider that cheaper may not be the best route to make money

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  11. Trailblazer02

listen i thank you for all of your answers to my question but......you keep bringin up the smallness of the plow I KNOW HOW SMALL IT IS but its the best my truck can put on and in my price range i really dont have a choice!! also i dont believe fisher would make and sell a plow for 3000+ to do one driveway per storm thats pointless....i do believe they made it for small jobs such as driveways which i will be doing its not like im biding for a huge plaza or doing a 20 mile state route im doing a small amount of driveways to earn a few bucks to pay off the plow and ill get it tuned up whenever it needs it im not going to plow 50 miles an hour or anything!!!! lol hope you get my point i understand its a weak small plow but i do think a $3200 plow can handle some driveways each year!!!!

12. Russ's Repair

Russ's Repair Junior Member
    from 02562

somebody has little @#$% syndrome and doesn't like to hear how small it is. I think what everyone here is trying to say is that the plow wasn't meant for what you eventually will end up doing. It's called the homesteader for a reason! I personally have a 8ft hd but if I had a small vehicle to plow with and had limited options then go with a snoway.Something thats built to handle what you have now plus some. And like the others said don't lowball!!!!! It kills those of us who need the money to pay the bills.

13. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

i personally wouldnt go with the homesteader . Hell, for that price you can get your rig outfitted with a plow that is more versitile in many more situations. That way you are not limited on your future options on what you will do with your future plans in the plowing industry(i wouldve said business but that seems to be a sore subject). But thats just my opinion. I myself would hate to realize that i blew 4K on something that isnt going to suit my needs. Choose plows wisely. :dizzy:

14. Trailblazer02

listen RUSS no i dont have an attitude i know what kind of plow i am buying but i dont think they built it to plow one drive per storm im sorry. and dont act like i dont pay bills because i prob make less than all of you im just doing what i need to do that fits my needs im not low balling it just seems you guys think im gonna do like 80 drives relax its 10 and 6 are family members i really dont think ill be getting more and im sure the plow can handle it. i dont know why people have to be like this

15. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

he can/should plow whatever he wants to. He will find out the hard way when he figures out rookie mistakes (very expensive) and you will see what im talking about first time you plow in a sidewalk, hit a car or anything else

16. Russ's Repair

Russ's Repair Junior Member
    from 02562

so the 6 that are family drives....what they don't put any stress on the plow cause its a family drive???????????good luck buddy.......this just happens to be one of those industries where it doesn't pay to skimp!!!!!

17. Trailblazer02

why do you all have attitudes i just wanna plow a few drives why are you so against ithis a rookie mistake

18. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i'm more concerned with the car than the plow. those trannies aren't built for pushin. I've heard of people doing more than him with a snowbear. Not that i'd want to but yah know how it is.

19. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I live in NH too, I only plow my driveways and some family driveways. I figured I'd check into insurance, and called my provider to find out what I needed to do. He told me not to worry about it, as long as I'm not doing a lot of driveways. I think what he was trying to say to me is that they would pay if something were to happen, but he's not officially endorsing it because he would get into trouble for not selling me the more expensive insurance.

20. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i doubt they would cover something your not paying for